Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: MonoPods
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:41 pm 
What are monopods used for and are they very affective? I cant imagine balancing a camera on top of a single poll would do much good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:19 pm 
I've seen people use them on the beach for surf/skim photography.. They kinda dig into the sand and give you extra stability than just holding it. But their also lighter so you don't have to carry around the whole tripod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:13 pm 
Site Admin

They won't give you the stability of a tripod and of course can't be left feee-standing like a tripod, but they can greatly reduce camera shake especially when using big lenses - they're good for shooting sports and let you rest while still having the camera pointing approximately at the action.

I bought one a while back, but admit I rarely use it! BUT if I got more into sports photography with a big lens, I might...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:14 am 
I have IS on my sony A100, but would it still be a good idea to use the monopod that I fished out of my garage? Would it make much difference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:23 am 

tobywuk wrote:
I have IS on my sony A100, but would it still be a good idea to use the monopod that I fished out of my garage? Would it make much difference

Yes, it would be a great idea. A set of trial shots will be worth a score of opinions. :)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 pm 

My impression from using my monopod: It reduces shake only in the vertical direction. It then becomes very apperent that you still have a lot of shake in horizontal direction :cry:
That's the reason I never use my monopod, although it is light, small and stable Manfrotto quality...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:33 pm 
I have a manofrotto my have spelled that wrong, but you get the idea, it was a lower end model, only 50 bucks, but man, it works for me. It's good when you are in area's when your moving around, (i.e wedding maybe?) although i dont use them for that, if you are on the go, or you are in a tighter space and cant fit a tripod very well, I think its a good thing to have on your arsenal of camera equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:08 pm 
I have had a little play with using the monopod but it dosent seem to make that much different to camera shake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:11 pm 
Site Admin

You're right, they don't. I only got about 1 stop out of mine, but if you're pointing a heavy lens in one direction waiting for something to happen, they can be a boon!

That said, I've not used mine for ages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:23 pm 
It does make a nice batton or poking stick though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:49 am 
yeaH that is true, unless if you have a nice monopod with the little tripod thing at the bottom, even with that tho, I mainly use my monopod for film (video) for sports