Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 pm 
so Lee from Fstoppers is gonna shoot an entire fashion photoshoot with an iphone 3gs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOoGjtSy ... r_embedded
really fun to watch too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:43 pm 
'we'll be shooting with the worst camera...an olympus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:59 pm 

I lol'd. Not spoiling anything but it sure is a funny video, with a nice soundtrack (OK go)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:07 pm 
lovely!! :D a lot of fun & wow,you can really shoot with anything....even with an Olympus :D sorry,I meant iPhone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 pm 
I liked it how they were all "you don't need lots of expensive equipment", and then lit the model with all these crazy lighting setups :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:58 pm 
Lol..very interesting indeed!

I think Chase Jarvis made that case with his "thebestphotos.com" website some time ago.

If the same images were taken with a Hasselblad, the images printed @ 18X12 inches and compared side-by-side, massive difference would be easy to spot. And it's probably fairly easy to predict which set of images the magazines and bill-board advertising agencies would pick.

The bottom line is that an image can't be fully appreciated on a computer monitor. We are all looking at thumbnails that are approximately 1/12th or less of the full image information.

If we look at a 100% segment of the image, we are also not appreciating the image the way it's intended. Nobody go to a gallery and look at a painting or photo in 1/12th increments...

What I'd really like to see are great cameras optimized for screen-viewing and most-people print-sizes (say up to 20X30 inches). A compromise could be the relatively "perfect" 6MP. Imagine the last couple of years' worth of technological advancement applied to 6MP sensors? What kind of crazy dynamic range and low-ISO handling could a D3S with 6MP accomplish? Monstrously large photo-sites perhaps capable of rendering the 12 F-stops worth of range our eyes can handle?

Imagine the speed of such cameras?

....ok I'm rambling and drooling on my shirt..

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:06 am 
why would u want such quality in a phone that you could print crystal clear 20x30 images? that's dumb, if you wanna print photos you get a more serious camera, i say 10x15 is max because sometimes you just don't have your camera with you and can only take phone photos.

that vid is stupid though.. it doesn't prove his point at all. he failed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:13 am 
That was a good and enjoyable video :)

Complaining about the lighting setup misses the point, IMHO. If you went down the studio lights route and bought Elinchrom lights, you can have a decent setup for less than the price of an L lens (e.g. the 70-200mm f4 L w/o IS). If you went down the cheap strobist route, bought Chinese made triggers and flash guns you can have it for even cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:50 am 

It shows you can take nice pictures with a cheap camera. You will just see some pretty soft images and lots of CA when you print them to 20x40, but that's not the point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:07 am 

It is an interesting video but does only take the expensive camera out of the equation.

How about total cost to create the image which would include the model, hair/makeup, lighting and retouching. If you juggle the other factors you could balance the importance of each. For example with a much better camera and lens set up would you require a less costly lighting and retouching setup?

http://keystrokesukimages.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:35 pm 
Quote:
For example with a much better camera and lens set up would you require a less costly lighting and retouching setup?

No.

If the lighting is rubbish, the result is not going to be pretty even if you use a top of the line Hasselblad. If your model looks haggard, you'll spend hours in Photoshop applying the make-up. In fact, you could argue that with a better camera and lens you will end up spending more time in Photoshop as the spots, pores and other imperfections in your model become even more obvious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:54 pm 
agreed with pgtips.

in other news,I had my ID picture taken,a few weeks ago, with an ancient P&S camera. :) I didn't saw the brand,but it was old. The point is that it was connected to a studio light & a umbrella. Neat,all I can say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:33 pm 

Pretty impressive final results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm 
unortunately he wanted his video to get fame in how he makes awesome photos with no gear at all, but what he did in the video is not even close to what he describes. not everyone has big ass octabanks, striplights and more lying at home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:37 pm 

Funny video! Nice job :D

But, does this shock anyone? I am not at all compelled by these pictures taken with a cell phone with perfect light. It makes sense.
(Mind you, the iPhone has one of the better cameras cell phone wise.)

Things I do find more impressive and great to watch is this kind of stuff:
http://vimeo.com/11043263

Not overly shopped, no fancy lights just all natural and great! And captured with what? A upper entry level DSLR with the cheapest zoom lens Canon has to offer? and a basic shoulder rig. (Not sure if it's the cheapest lens)

(That being said though, this is kinda what he is trying to say so I am sort of shooting myself in the leg here... :p