Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:21 am 
No, I just got a friend to reinstall Windows for me and then when he installed it and set up the same partitions that I had before, all the content that was originally in the other drives appeared to be still there...so lucky!

I'm not that technically minded either. i know something about some things, but when it comes to the operating system and the inner workings of drives, the registry etc...byebye :)

I'm sure like the others have said though, that everything is there and intact and you will be able to get it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:50 am 
i talked to my boyfriend yesterday about it and he said he was about 90 perent sure he could take out the hard drive and put it in the desk top becuase he said him and his moms boyfriend did it before when he got a virus on his computer so he was pretty much in the same situation as i am in now and he was able to get everything back. i asked him about the converter thing so it fit and he said something about something called a ribbon? i dont really know as ive said, im not the most computer savvy person

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:04 am 
Site Admin

Yes, there will be a ribbon cable from the desktop PC to your drive, BUT you will need an adapter because your laptop drive has a physically smaller plug on it. So unless you or a friedn has one, you'll need to buy an adapter from a computer shop - ask for a 3.5in to 2.5in disk adapter.

Like this:

http://sewelldirect.com/25-in-to-35-in- ... -Power.asp

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am 
Hey,

If you haven't recovered anything yet there is a way to get stuff off the system without faffing about with the innards.

From a friends computer download something called "knoppix"
http://www.knoppix.org
Burn this to a CD
Put the CD in your computer and turn on.

It's a little operating system that runs directly from the CD so it takes a while to load up (10 mins) but once loaded it has full support for viewing hard drives, USB drives etc etc. You should be able to get anything off the old hard drive with the minimum of fuss as if it was a normal windows operating system and copy it to a USB key or an external HDD. (looks a little different but essentially the same).

Hope some of that helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 pm 
Bluescreen also known as BSOD is 65% related to a faulty RAM (bad or dirty/dusty including the socket) . 25% Operating System failure/software conflict. 10% other hardware failure.

Like Gordon said, you need a 2.5 inch to 3.5 inch IDE converter to hook it up internally to a PC. But, you can also get a Notebook external case 2.5 and slide in your drive and hook it up by USB. There is a chance you will
not be able to browse directly to you my pictures folder bec of security issues with windows (account has password on the original PC), but that is not a problem if you can make and burn a bartpe CD and use it to browse your folder. I know it may be too much for you but let me know if you need more details.