Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:58 pm 
Curious to see what you choose and why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:06 pm 
Why did I choose my D5000 last year, because of my lens collection.

Why did I choose Nikon years ago? Probably because I preferred their lens collection. Also, I got into photography right when canon scrapped their FD mount in favour of the Eos set up, which didnt inspire confidence in me and didnt have the extensive lens collection Nikon or indeed anybody else had.

I actually shot Leica range finders before I switched to Nikon. The thought of autofocus was just too much for me to resist! Guess I should have stuck it out if Id have known they would have come back into fashion and the prices shot up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:27 pm 

When I started, it was a hard choice between the Sony A350 and Canon 450D. Neither had everything I wanted, but Sony won in the end. As my needs grew, Sony failed to keep up (A700 replacement anyone???) and I ended up switching to Canon after all for their feature set and lens line up. I still miss the Sony tilt screen fast AF live view for those odd angle shots.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:09 pm 
I went with Nikon because I preferred the way the rear of the camera is laid out, button-wise... and aesthetics. That's about it. Otherwise it was pretty much a tie between Canon and Nikon for me, quality and selection-wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:36 pm 

The lost Canon woman tribe of the amazonian jungle seduced me.

It was canons prime lens range for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:43 pm 
Better lenses for the money,better camera feel & ergonomy,off-camera flash control & other small aspects,not worth mentioning.

If Canon had an all-around lens,sharp & cheap with stabilisation & if the 40D had a different button arrangement & maybe support off-camera flash(very important for any begineer,since Canon makes you buy lens hoods,screen protectors & other things),then I would have chose Canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 am 
@Orsan

Haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:26 am 
@Orsan: hahah! i wish i had like a Nikon girl like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_H8TOKcfjg to seduce me....

haha anyways, i was into nikon was because of my family, my dad shot wedding for a living 20years ago, he used the nikon F3 and the noct nikkor 58mm f1.2 (that i have currently) to make a living.
so i stuck with those and love it!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:45 pm 

I started off with Pentax because I wanted an entry-level DSLR that was affordable but offered higher build quality than most beginner models. The K200D had weather sealing, too, which won me over in the end. It was a great camera for me, but the better I became, the more its limitations frustrated me.

I eventually needed something with a faster, better AF system and better performance at higher ISOs. I wanted to retain good build quality and weather sealing. My choice of Nikon came down to handling and ergonomics. Sony, Canon, and Nikon all had systems that focus faster than Pentax, but among those three the Nikon bodies fit my hands best, and felt the most intuitive to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:46 pm 

I choosed my Panasonic because of the functions (same as dSLRs), the review of Gordon which says it's a very good camera, and its excelent 27-486mm lens.
I also had to learn new things on digial SLRs, but hadnt the money yet.
It was like a mini dSLR, for trying

Panasonic DMC-FZ18, Panasonic DMC-FZ28, Canon G5, Canon 350D, Canon 50D + BG-E2N
Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM,
Canon 18-55 II plus lots of Minolta MD/M42 lenses and bodies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:53 pm 

I liked the nikon grip, and the D90+ kitlens was a very compelling option. 40D+17-85 was also a viable option though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:34 pm 

Chose Sony because of the good ergonomics (A700 at the time, some of the later models weren't that great...), the in-camera stabilization, and the fact there's Zeiss lenses available for it, with AF. I'm sticking to it because I can't afford a Leica system.
I find myself missing my trusty A700 when I shoot with my cousins D700, so I guess it just works best for me.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:50 pm 

I chose Canon because of the huge selection of prime lens and zoom lens (Mostly L). But the thing is I dont have a Prime from Canon yet xD

I used to have a 400D, then now its a 40D. I chose the 40D because at that time it had a pretty good price, and its comfortable in my hands. And the 6.5 Frames really came handy for my Wildlife photos.

And there's one great thing that canon has and no other brands have and it is the thumb wheel and the ease of use :p And I like Canons design too.

My next camera will be a 1D Mark IV though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:20 am 
Chose Pentax because of native DNG support, affordable weather sealing, and possibly the best cropped sensor lens lineup. The 50-135mm pretty much sealed the deal for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:11 am 
... i wanted maximun performances
in minimum space.
and as sharp, noise and that things
never mind to me :