Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:25 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30 am 

Hi guys, I'm an amateur photographer based in Auckland, New Zealand. I've been shooting on my DSLR for about 2.5 years since I first bought my camera. I was previously living at Manly beach, Sydney Australia up to October last year. Every weekend i'd be up taking photos of sunrises, surfers, the beach etc. Now I've moved back to Auckland and I've just be bogged down with the busy city life.

I still love following photography, viewing pics and appreciating good photographers. But feel I can't find anything different to shoot which excites me!

I only have two lenses from my Canon 60D, a 24-105 f/4 L Series + a Sigma 30 f1.4. I'm thinking of buying the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 to bring a different angle to my shots and to make me get out and about. It's been about 1.5 years since I bought a lens.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this? Any tips to bring back to the creative spark?

Cheers,
Rich

photography by [ fresh ]
beach, travel & street photography
http://www.facebook.com/photographybyfresh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:41 am 

I think it happens with many things, not just photography. Doing anything for longer periods can result in a reduction in interest. I think with photography I experienced a big slowdown after 2 or 3 years or so.

Don't force yourself to do something. If you're not in the mood, you're never going to be at your best anyway and that might create a negative feedback cycle. It sucks, I suck, why bother?

I found revisiting old favourites helpful. For me it was my local park. At my peak I'd visit practically every other day. Now it is more like once a quarter, so it is fresher and different every time.

I never found more kit to help much at provoking interest. It is a short term thing, and the initial interest wears off after a while. It does of course open up new possibilities, but if it can sustain is another matter...

Tinies: Sony HX9V.