Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Using a speedlight
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:23 am 
Does anyone have any tips/tutorials/links on shooting with a speedlight? I've just got a Nikon SB-800 (for cheap as chips) and the manual is a little overwhelming! Main question, which goes for the on-camera flash as well: I find that occasionally the meter reports the scene I'm taking to be very underexposed however taking a photo with the flash on obviously lights up the scene and while the image isn't necessarily what I was hoping for, it's light enough. I take it metering doesn't take the flash into account? But yeah, any advice/tips of shooting with flashes would be very handy and appreciated!

Welly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:53 am 
Although these articles have a more Canon orientation, I've found them very useful. I'm sure you'll find them useful too:
http://photonotes.org/articles/

Roland

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:42 am 
That's strange. The meter should correct itself (to take the flash into account) as soon as you physically pop the flash up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:22 pm 
Maybe it does and it's still too dark! I'll have to take another look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:44 pm 
luis wrote:
That's strange. The meter should correct itself (to take the flash into account) as soon as you physically pop the flash up.

Nope. I had the same problem when I was first playing around with the flash (both onboard and SB 800). The Electronic Analog Exposure display only records the light actually entering the lens at that time (although it includes adjustments made to exposure compensation).

The reason it doesn't take the flash into account is because the camera doesn't know exactly how much light the flash will throw out until the pre-flash fires - which is when the shutter release is pressed. I'm not sure if pre-firing the flash (FV-lock on the D80) would update the meter display. I'll have to test.

P.S. You've got a really nice photostream Welly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm 
TelexStar wrote:
P.S. You've got a really nice photostream Welly. :)

Thanks man! Appreciated. And likewise, you have some great photos! Have been browsing them for some inspiration!