Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:18 pm 
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but I am hoping someone will be able to explain to me why the makers of compact cameras, even the most expensive ones, do not include a wireless shutter release facility. My old Canon APS film camera had this, and I found it often a valuable help, used with a mini tripod (a) for low light and other shots where the elimination of camera shake was needed, and (b) to take group shots, whether or not including myself, at exactly the right moment.

It seems to me that cameras today offer all kinds of gimmicky functions which few people will actually use, whereas a remote shutter release would be a great benefit to many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:10 pm 

Which camera's are you particularly talking about, most cameras do have the function but you need to buy remotes to use this function.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 pm 
Thanks for the reply.
My search is for a good quality compact of a size that will slip easily into a shirt or trouser pocket. Desired features include:
a bright LCD screen 3" approx
the best available optical anti shake function
a sophisticated automatic function such as the Panasonic intelligent auto,
aperture & shutter priority and manual exposure control
manual focussing (if possible, but this may be a wish too far)
a good quality wide angle lens say 25mm and a zoom of at least 4x
strong build quality and good general performance
PLUS A WIRELESS SHUTTER RELEASE!

Speaking as an amateur who is interested in taking good pictures but has no desire to be a dedicated or 'serious' photographer I am not particularly interested in having a plethora of program modes, or histograms, or GPS, or date stamping or other such features that may give lovers of gimmicks something to talk about but don't actually help one take decent images.

The first camera that took my eye was the Panasonic LX3, but the limited zoom and the protruding lens made me hesitate. Next came the Canon S90, which I am still thinking about, or was until I read about the forthcoming Panasonic TZ8 and TZ10, both of which seem to offer what I want except for manual focussing and wireless shutter releases.

I have trawled though the specifications of all these cameras and nowhere have I found any mention of a remote or wireless shutter release facility. If I am wrong I would be delighted to be put right. If not, I repeat my original question.