Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Less is More
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 am 
I read an article on DPS a few weeks ago and thought I would share it with everyone here. Basically, it describes what a lot of photographers suffer from---gear lust, and addresses the problem and why it is bad.

http://digital-photography-school.com/d ... amera-gear

My two personal favorite quotes from the passage:

"Explore and be inspired. Spend your money on getting out there. Go traveling, go to a national park, anything. Don't waste your money on more camera gear. What you have already is more than enough"

And

"Are you obsessed with making images, or with buying camera gear?"

I personally believe that having more gear doesn't lead to more creativity, or better pictures. To be a true photographer, we should learn how to use our most basic gear to its full potential, and only after we have reached the boundaries of what it can achieve, should we move on. There is so much more to be gained from pushing a lens/bodies limits than simply buying more gear when you feel that you need it, but could probably manage without it.

After reading that article it finally hit me. I am obsessed with buying camera gear, not making images. I felt horrible that I was foolish enough to buy more gear when I didn't need it, and hastily made plans to sell the gear I didn't need, and just didn't deserve.

So, as you might have noticed, my avatar is slightly smaller now :wink:

I figured that it would be better to learn through experimentation and stretching my gear to its limits to get better photographs than to buy better gear in order to get there. If I don't have the skill to use my current gear to the fullest, than I shouldn't be using/upgrading to other gear.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 am 

"Less is more" i personally couldn't agree more though it does come down to how you work and your style of shooting.

Im a less man and have a very retro style of shooting by only ever using a Camera body and a 50mm lens..

edit: though i am obsessed with buying old film cameras for collection.