Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:14 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Check out my gallery.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:32 pm 
Hey I'd appreciate it if you guys would comment on some of my photo's on my webpage. The first 9 are taken with my compactcam the other 9 with my 40d.

The link is:

http://users.telenet.be/BMphoto/

Thanks for viewing them.

Bart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:02 pm 
Not a comment on the photos themselves, but on the web page.

I can see a noticeable loss of quality, in the black and white photos with the motorcycle, in comparison to the ones you have on Flickr.

Even worse, they seem to be cut (cropped). Compare, for example, the wheels and the sole of the shoe in both pages.

Also, it seems the page loads all images before it will display any of them.

Did I mention there's no labels, [the possibility of] descriptions or comments on them, unlike on Flickr?

Therefore, Flickr is better. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:24 pm 
Hi Bart
Pic 3 and 6 (from left) looks good from the compact. i like the pana view.
Honda Bike pic - thats in B&W ? Contrast seems out for me, perhaps in color would be better.

But as Luis pointed out, there seems to be noticeable loss of quality in the pics, compare to those you posted earlier, on Flickr.

As for the web-site,
I like the movement of the pics from one to the next but it does takes a long time to load. And without numbering and or details of EXIF, it will be kinda difficult for visitors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:53 pm 
luis wrote:
Not a comment on the photos themselves, but on the web page.

I can see a noticeable loss of quality, in the black and white photos with the motorcycle, in comparison to the ones you have on Flickr.

Even worse, they seem to be cut (cropped). Compare, for example, the wheels and the sole of the shoe in both pages.

Also, it seems the page loads all images before it will display any of them.

Did I mention there's no labels, [the possibility of] descriptions or comments on them, unlike on Flickr?

Therefore, Flickr is better. :)

In what format on flickr did you compare the photo against the one on my website ? Medium? If you view medium on flickr it does look better than on my website but if you view large it's the same.

I think the photos on flickr in medium look better because I upload them in approx 1200 px on the long side. If you then view it in medium it seems a whole lot sharper because it'so compressed. I upload the images on my website at 800px on the long side. I think on the website you see the pics 1:1 that's why they seem less sharp.

Also I've noticed one again that flickr brightens up my photo's. If I look at one photo on flickr it's a whole lot brighter than the same on on my pc. It sucks. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:56 pm 
Luis wrote:

Quote:
but it does takes a long time to load.

Strange, on my pc they are all loaded in approx 2 seconds. :P

What kind of internet connection do you have?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:08 pm 
You have some nice pictures, I particularly like the one of the pylons(7). We have lots of those over here but your's seem to be of a more interesting shape!

I think the way the photos are presented is quite nice however like the others say, the images appear to be of reduced quality although I haven't seen your flickr. The took really long to load when I first tried a few hours ago but now they all load pretty fast and I don't have to wait for all to load before I can start viewing. I think it was just my connection earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:57 pm 
Bart Michiels wrote:
Luis wrote:

Quote:
but it does takes a long time to load.

Strange, on my pc they are all loaded in approx 2 seconds. :P

What kind of internet connection do you have?

I have ADSL.

Those aren't my exact words. I've said all the images have to load before any of them can be displayed, not that that loading by itself takes very long. But it is a bad web design, to have all the data loaded before you can see a part, rather than only loading the data you want, when you want it.

If you hit the "quote" button, you don't have to type what you want to quote. :wink:

You should be the one to decide how you want your work to be displayed, of course. But to me, your photos look fine on Flickr, and that service offers more functionality and seems more user-friendly - but that's just me.

I like your photos and hope to see more of them, regardless of where you host them!