Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tape your camera
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 1:54 pm 

Just wondering about this, I've been thinking of taping my gear. Not to make it less interesting to thieves (come on, a huge camera without a logo is still a huge camera), but to prevent it from breaking, and to prevent brand discussions when I'm working.

Sure, I like a good chat about cameras and photography, but I couldn't care less if random person X at an event I shoot uses Canon, which is obviously superior to my camera etc. etc. :roll:

Your thoughts?

P.S. I'm thinking of changing the Nikon logo on the prism housing to "Smile!" or something similar. Perhaps use a Canon strap instead of a nikon strap, that would be fun too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm 

Good reasons to tape things up. I think you should go ahead and try it! Ask at the Gamma/Karwei/Praxis/etc. for tape that doesn't leave any glue when you pull it off, in case you want to sell lenses and such later.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:46 pm 

I have a gps on my camera that fits loosely in the hot-shoo.
So I decided to tape it in place.

The side effect was that it changed the discussion from "what is that thing on your camera" to "Why did you tape it to your camera".

So nosy people are still nosy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:48 pm 

I put the 300D strap on the 5D before, as I didn't like the 5D strap and thought it funny. When I still had the Sony, I considered swapping straps around but never did... I also think about a plain strap so it doesn't shout the branding out.

I'm not sure taping the camera will make much difference. Ok, might make it harder from a distance but it'll be obvious at close range regardless.

In my case, people see the 100-400L from a mile away regardless what else I do... and in that case camo is of limited use.

Most times if I meet random DSLR photographers when out, little more than a knowing nod is exchanged, and I wouldn't chat unless they initiate it. The exception would be at a photo event, where it tends to be inevitable.

Or just give in and bling it up with something like this.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:26 pm 

Citruspers, your camera has bigger pixels than D3s. I say no more :D

That being said, I had no idea people where so active on this, I usually just say nice camera, regardless ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:31 pm 
by taping things on your camera you'll attract even more "hey nice camera, look at my 1D!" conversations..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:33 pm 

@Bjorn: that would be gaffer tape, not regular duct-tape.

I still like the "Smile!" idea though :lol:

Maybe also wrap up my D90 a bit, my D2H can pretty much handle everything, but the D90 (and grip) are fragile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 4:35 pm 

You could tape it up, and if someone asks, act mysterious and let them know you're betatesting a prototype D4... :wink:

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:36 pm 

I've found most ppl leave me alone when I'm photographing but then again its wildlife... what I have noticed is that since I have been wearing a double strap and carrying 2 cameras in the open a lot more ppl approach me. I think the more professional you look the more ppl are going to talk to you no matter if it is taped or not....

Reflections On Canadian Wildlife
My Flickr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:45 pm 

Crap, then I'll definitely be a target with my 2 bodies, of which one is a huge beast, and my large beltpack :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:29 pm 
I don't really see the point of this,Citrus. :) I mean,a bit of tape will not offer protection...& avoid brand discussions? well I for one,am beyond that. I know so much s*** about camera brands,that people come to me when they want to buy something. So I for one don't care about fanboys.

Citrus,you should learn to enjoy those types of conversations :D If people get pissed off,more fun for you. That's the way I think it's best,anyway.

Btw,I know a Pentax dude that takes much better photos that most of the Canon fanboys I know. So there's a line to the "geeky-ness". Don't cross it! :) Photography must be enjoyed,not disscused

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:44 pm 

Razvan, I truly enjoy camera conversations, but not when I have to focus to get a shot. :lol:
And I dislike the "oh, you have a really good camera. I don't. You must take better pictures". It makes me feel awkward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 7:06 pm 
Ah,I understand what you mean then. :) It's like "HA! You've missed another shot,Canon-boy! Don't use the FPS as an excuse" or "Not enough megapixels to crop from,you Nikon noobie?" :lol:

Even with more...uhm...intelligent conversations,one could still lose his focus. So you're right :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:33 pm 
You should paint CA infront of Nikon.

Now you will have a Canikon.

WORK 100%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:31 am 

I use tape if I'm at the beach or somewhere dusty just to stop it from getting in the tiny gaps. I really dont see the point in taping over the brand because people who know things about cameras can normally recognise a canon from nikon from sony etc.
If they want an argument about which is better they're obviously just a label basher

430EX speedlight
Photoshop CS4