Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Resale of DSLR equipment
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:23 pm 
I recently decided to look into trading in my Pentax equipment so I could be one step further to getting into a full frame or higher end crop sensor camera. I was a little shocked at how little they offered me. As you can tell by my list of equipment, i've invested a few thousand into it. However, when I went into my local photo store they only offered me $500 for the lot which I found pretty pathetic. I realize they have to make money too but that's quite a dip into my investment. So now I beg the question, is their a good resale in equipment? I hear all the time about people selling their lenses body's and accessories for almost as much as they paid. What's the best avenue for selling this stuff off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:48 pm 

If you sell to a dealer, do expect to get a low rate. I'm seeing offers up to about half current new price for lenses, perhaps a little more for bodies. Different dealers will have different rates too. Do try a few. I found better prices on places that dedicate on selling used equipment, rather than a normal store that does a trade in.

Private sales can get you more, as you can price to undercut the dealers and get more than dealers give you. But then you're doing all the work... If you're already part of a Pentax forum which has a private sale area try that, but most places frown upon new users joining just to do so.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:10 pm 

Thats the price of technology, there is something always better or newer six months later and your equipment becomes inexpensive.

Ebay is always the best option as you can set the minimum price you want for your equipment, it might not sell if you become to greedy so you have to be very realistic to what the secondhand market is and price accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:11 pm 
Thanks guys... i'll try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Looking at your gear list, I think the items that will have a demand will be the 50mm f/1.7 and the flash. While you might have paid a lot for your equipment, they tend to depreciate in value very rapidly unless you bought second hand, or you buy items that retain their value (good lenses tend to outlast camera bodies).

Having said that, $500 is on the low side. I'd pitch for $700 and hope for $800 :)