Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Lens vs Objective
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:50 am 

When talking about close-up lenses that you can attach to the camera-lens I was very much wondering whether there is a proper differentiation in english between a single glass-element (called "lens") and the "thing you have in front of your camera-body (also called "lens").
In german there is no such confusion as the single glass-element is called "Linse"="lens" and the thing in front of your camera-body is called "Objektiv"="objective".
But I cannot remember someone using the term "objective" in this context, although the dictionary says it's fine.
Any feedback on the use of the term "objective" or other ways to differentiate between both types of a "lens"?
I also stumbled across the terms "object glass", "object lens", "objective lens".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Interesting question Thomas!

In imaging terms I'd personally describe a lens as something with multiple optical elements. In telescope and binocular terms, I'd be happy to use the term objective to describe the major light gathering element at the beginning of the optical path, but I'm less comfortable using it to describe the front element on a camera lens...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:19 am 

And if you say "close-up lens" is it clear that you mean the single 2 diopter optical element you screw onto the front of your "camera-objective" to focus closer or can this easily be (mis)interpreted as a "macro-lens"/ "macro-objective" like the 105mm micro-Nikkor :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:24 pm 
Interesting arguement Thomas.

I had a lookup on the terms your mentioned , Object glass , Object lens and Objective lens

and they all seems to related to one meaning, in my opinion, anyway.

quote below
As adj

The lens or lens system in a microscope or other optical instrument that first receives light rays from the object and forms the image. Also called object glass, objective lens, object lens.

or as noun

noun
the lens or system of lenses in a telescope or microscope that is nearest the object being viewed

end of quote

So my interpretations would be the first 'item' that receives the light.
You can interpret it as 'items' as well.
So that would means 'its the same' :?: :?:

Now on Filter

quoted

Photography. a lens screen of dyed gelatin or glass for controlling the rendering of color or for diminishing the intensity of light.

End quote

So - i believe basically the 'filter' will be the 'first item' to receive the light so its all the above.

But for confusion sake maybe the term 'filter' was used to distinguish
purpose of use - hence

polariser filter for control of lights entering
GND filter effects
+2 filter a Diopter i believe , and yes the box says filter

So there are all one and the same ?