Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:32 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:06 am 
I'm doing a science fair project for my school and I was able to use the topic evaluation of photographic optics, so now that have done some mild research, I need some advice and inspiration since most of the members on this forum are excellent reveiwers. ( the ISO 12233 chart, how measure distortion, set-up the trials, etc.)

Keep me posted thanks! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:02 am 

What would you like to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:09 pm 
Well...... how to test the lens sharpness, light-falloff, geometeric distortions, corner sharpness, and chromatic Aberrations, how to step-up trials, what kind of software to use, anything is good.

Thanks for you help! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:20 pm 

Well, see my lens tests e.g. here. With the monitor pattern, you can easily get a first impression on geometric distortions, color-fringing and corner-sharpness. So three tests in one. Just don't use it for light fall-off as explained here.
If you want to use the "Enhanced Digital Camera Resolution Chart" like the one Gordon uses, looky here: http://www.sinepatterns.com/i_Stdrds.htm or the chart that I print on A4 and plaster it all over a wall here http://images.digicamfotos.de/media/23/siemensstern.zip (copyright D. Bethke).
Most important for all measurements (except for light fall-off) is absolut perpendicular alignment of the camera/lens-axis to the wall/test-subject plus a 120% focus!
When reading from resolution-charts, you need to make a judgement when the different "stripes" are blurring into one gray area (or in case you use the Siemens-star; one grey disk. This takes some judgement, as all those lines don't just abruptly disappear, but with time you get used to it.
Another advice: resolution should not be judges with lines that run exactly horizontal or exactly vertical, as the in-camera sharpening will inadvertantly do somthing to these patterns. the general advice is to let those lines run at a 7° angle either to the vertical or the horizontal. With a Siemens-star, you will not have this prob, as the lines run in every direction. Just don't measure the diameter of the grey disk at exactly the horizontal or vertical axis :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:09 am 
Site Admin

Hi Fearless Leader, nice project!

You should check out our how we test page.

As for software, almost everything you want can be processed by the excellent Imatest.

Good luck! And feel free to benchmark your own lenses and let us know how they get on...

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:04 pm 
Thanks, you guys are awesome! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:29 pm 

As a favour you tell us the answer to your question "What Strikes Fear In A Nikon Pro?" in return!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:22 pm 
tombomba2 wrote:
As a favour you tell us the answer to your question "What Strikes Fear In A Nikon Pro?" in return!

Sure it's a line from the Nikon D2Xs advertisement, I just reworded the line a bit since I don't have a D2Xs. The idea it's trying to get across is that when Nikon user are on assignments, nothing strikes fear in them (i.e. their equipment breaking, missing shots, slow AF, etc)

B.T.W. type it in on google and some of my posts show up lol!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:48 pm 
fearless leader wrote:
tombomba2 wrote:

Sure it's a line from the Nikon D2Xs advertisement, I just reworded the line a bit since I don't have a D2Xs. The idea it's trying to get across is that when Nikon user are on assignments, nothing strikes fear in them (i.e. their equipment breaking, missing shots, slow AF, etc)

B.T.W. type it in on google and some of my posts show up lol!

I'll tell you what strikes fear in a Nikon Pro...... a line of Canon Pro's at any sports event lol :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:00 pm 
Defiant wrote:
I'll tell you what strikes fear in a Nikon Pro...... a line of Canon Pro's at any sports event lol :lol:

Well as a fan of Nikon, Canon strikes laughter in a Nikon Pro :lol: We each have different tastes and opinons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:04 pm 

Watch out boys: No flaming in this forum! Return to the "Dreaded Science project"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:58 pm 
sorry tombomba2 :(

Anyway back on topic, I have a question about lighting conditions and camera settings, like you mentioned earlier, in-camera sharpening with alter the results, so what is a good starting point like RAW or JPEG? Image size, what conditions should lighting be when conducting tests, anything of that nature.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:05 pm 

Shoot RAW (do you have CaptureNX to change all settings afterwards?) and produce maximum size plus quality jpegs from RAW to obtain the best results. Use a flash if possible (very constant, good white-balance) or otherwise bright daylight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:17 am 
tombomba2 wrote:
Shoot RAW (do you have CaptureNX to change all settings afterwards?) and produce maximum size plus quality jpegs from RAW to obtain the best results. Use a flash if possible (very constant, good white-balance) or otherwise bright daylight.

I don't have Capture NX, but will something like Photoshop for evaluation work?