Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:46 am 
For a while now, I've noticed that most of the professional f/2.8 telephoto zooms are basically the focal lengths of 70-200mm (possibly with the execption of the 50-150 f/2.8 Sigma).

I was wondering how does the 70-200mm VR AF-S Nikkor compare to the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM? The two combinations have an addtional option of two colors, is there anything beside the less heat absorbtion that the white version have over the black one?
Keep me posted! Thanks :D

P.S. I have used a friend of mine's 70-200 Nikon for a few days when we were traveling together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:35 am 
Well, Canon divides its lenses into two categories:

- average
- slightly better than average (the "L" series)

Canon makes a compromise between quality and price. At Nikon, there's no compromise: all Nikkor lenses have high quality.

Heck, even the kit lens that comes with the cheapest Nikon DSLR (the D40) is better than that of the Canon 400D!

*ducks for cover*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 pm 
I thought G marked the destinction on lens quality in Nikon. If not, what does the G mean?

Sony/Minolta also has a 70-200/2.8 and so is Sigma according to their website. My guess is that they are about equally good perhaps different colors? The only test I have seen on these lenses is a Canon vs. Canon IS where the conclusion is that you lose a little sharpness with the IS version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:15 pm 

G means the lens doesn't have an aperture ring. See here for more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:54 pm 
Ah :) But I do hope there is a destinction between the kit lens and the 70-200/2.8 though ;)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 pm 

fearless leader wrote:
I was wondering how does the 70-200mm VR AF-S Nikkor compare to the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM?

Have a look at Photozone's reviews of the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR and the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 USM IS. On the face of it the Nikkor wins though the site is at pains to point out that there results shouldn't be used in this way.

luis wrote:
Canon makes a compromise between quality and price. At Nikon, there's no compromise: all Nikkor lenses have high quality

There's no need to duck for cover but I'd advise some Kevlar socks if you want to persist in shooting yourself in the foot! :lol:

One counter example is a lens we can all afford, the classic 50mm f/1.8 available from both Canon and Nikon. The Nikkor is very slightly more expensive here in the UK but optically it seems to be less good. Anyway, it's nice to keep an open mind and as you have made the assertion you must have done the research. Which particular lenses were you thinking of?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Luis, that's not really fair. Nikon also makes budget and premium lenses and not all of them are great! I think most people would also describe Canon's L glass as better than 'above average'!

But yep, an interesting comparison - I've not tried the Nikkor 70-200 f2.8, but I have used the Canon version and it was an incredibly quick focuser...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:36 pm 
Rune Laugesen wrote:
Ah :) But I do hope there is a destinction between the kit lens and the 70-200/2.8 though ;)

Those two lenses have very different purposes.

I will concede, however, that Canon's flagship EF 24-70 f/2,8 L USM can produce better results than the D40's kit lens. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:17 pm 

Hehe, that's the reason why Nikon now produces a new 24-70mm/f2.8 FX lens. So that apples can then be compared to apples again :lol:
And Rune, you've certainly seen the comments of Cornelius in this forum here. Rest asured: the Nikon 70-200mm/f2.8 is far superior to the kit-lens!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 2:59 pm 
Sorry, made a bad comparison, just wanted to say that I hope the expensive lenses are better than cheaper kit lenses :)

What is FX in 24-70mm/f2.8 FX?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:05 pm 
Rune Laugesen wrote:
What is FX in 24-70mm/f2.8 FX?

It's stands for the equivalent of "full frame". So a Nikkor FX lens can be used on a full frame body without problems.

Nikon's new D3 is a full frame body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:47 pm 

"FX" is just marketing-speak. All Nikon-lenses that are not designated "DX" are FF-lenses and thus can be used on the new "FX"-body...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:40 pm 
also the new FX lenses have that nano crystal coat, does anybody have any idea of what that might be?

Keep me posted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:51 pm 

nano-Crystal coat is the latest and greatest in anti-reflective coating.
Normally a refective coating is only good for a certain range of the light-spectrum. this is why every reputable lens-manufacturer has "multi-coating" to cover all the relevant spectrum and make more light go through the lens and not reflect off the lens-surface.
This is since the dauy of DSLRs a very special problem at the rear of the lens, as the sensor of a DSLR reflects more light back to the lens than a film does! So there very numerous efforts to avoid that light reflected from the sensor is then reflected back from the back of the lens and go haywire on the sensor again.
If Nikon is making the "N"(=nano-coat)-designation obligatory for FX-lenses all the better. Still all the FF-lenses do also serve their FX-sensor. So again, they are playing marketing games with us :(
------------
Pretty critical for a Nikon-fanboy, huh!