Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:04 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: oh noes
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 pm 
so my brother is coming over in a few hours claiming that he needs help with a his laptop...he somehow broke it :x . anywho, from the phone convo, here is what i gathered:

Stuck in some sort of infinite re-boot loop. you can start in safe mode, and system restore did not work. he said something about a matrix looking screen, but i don't know what he was talking about. there are people online if you search this in Google with the same problem, not sure how they fixed, but i guess it could be a Windows Update, or NVIDIA driver update.
unfortunately because of the matrix screen im thinking it could be a wicked virus.:roll:

Any ideas i will be great full for, as i will have a limited amount of time to attempt a fix. :)

Its an Dell desktop btw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:43 am 
I'm no expert, but it sounds like the system might be artifacting, this is caused by video cards overheating and can produce matrix looking errors. This problem is mainly related to running graphics intensive programs like games, but it can also come from accidentally blocking air vents, faulty video drivers or overclocking the system too far.
Best solution for this is to either reset the BIOS getting rid of any overclocking attempts; Reinstall the video drivers using the latest version; Try using the system in a well ventilated and cool place; Or reinstall windows.
If it's a virus, all I can recommend is try booting into safe mode and scan for viruses or reload windows. Without more info like system specs or software used theres not a lot more that can be recommended.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:10 am 
ha, that would make sense then devious, thanks. he just moved out and his new computer room is very poorly ventilated, not to mention he happen while he was playing a new game he got (i assume on full res) Spore. he hasn't tried over clocking to my knowledge. but this is still the most reasonable reason why i can think of. i guess it froze while playing then just got stuck in a loop.
:D

he does have nvidia 7600 i believe, and a pentium Dual core.