Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:08 pm 
Hi,
Is there anyone out there using a Spyder2 Express for monitor calibration? Are you satisfied with it?

Also, does it work on Vista 64-bit ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:09 pm 
I don't think you'll find too many if any people on clabs with that sort of gear. Try searching for a review. I'm pretty sure it would be fine with 64 bit vista (or you could take a look at their website)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:41 pm 

Khol wrote:
...Also, does it work on Vista 64-bit ?

Check out this FAQ on the manufacturer's site. It seems that you may have to download "version 2.3.5".

Spyder2express is reviewed here by Northlight Images.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:53 pm 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
I don't think you'll find too many if any people on clabs with that sort of gear.

Hi Greg,
I'm a rookie with this kind of gadgets. Please tell me why no one on clab would use the Spyder2 Express

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:05 pm 
1;Image callibration devices are generally a tad pricey (around 200 pounds)
2;Most people don't bother with callibration unless they do a lot of printing/design work etc

Just realised the one you're looking at is fairly cheap at around 60 pounds. Only thing I find a bit lame is that it doesn't have an ambient light sensor,. You might as well spend the extra cash and go for the Spyder 3 Pro at around 100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:16 pm 

Khol,
I use one as all the "by eye" calibration tools I tried gave very different results. Seems to work fine and is very simple to use. My prints are identical to what I see on my screen, and basically that's what i wanted.
I don't know about Vista 64 as I only have 32, I think you can download the driver for this from the website.
Muffi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:47 pm 
muffi wrote:
Khol,
I use one as all the "by eye" calibration tools I tried gave very different results. Seems to work fine and is very simple to use. My prints are identical to what I see on my screen, and basically that's what i wanted.
I don't know about Vista 64 as I only have 32, I think you can download the driver for this from the website.
Muffi

Ok Muffi, thanks for that input.
Did you notice a big difference in the way you see the images on the screen after you did the calibration? I.e brightness, gamma, colors etc?

Im not sure how it works. If the tool tells you how to change brightness, color etc on the monitor hardware or if it creates a software profile that you use in photoshop?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:06 pm 

Biggest change I saw was in the dark or shadow parts, which after calibration looked a lot lighter, but I suppose this depends on the monitor settings before calibration.
The system creates a software profile which is used as default until you recalibrate, then the newest profile becomes the default. When I start my PC you can see the background change as the profile is applied during start-up.
Muffi