Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:33 am 
Allright, its time i get a notebook, i been using a desktop PC for ages now and i love it but i just need to be more handy at some times. Just need to take stuff with me not to mention that this could be mean editing photos while i m waiting for the bus, riding the train waiting for some one or taking the plane some where..

I dont know alot about pc or notebooks in general, and i know there are alot of people on these forums that know alot about this kind of stuff, so why not ask.

So here are things that i need this baby to preform

-Weight, it cant be to big
-I m looking at a maybe a 15in screen, that enough for me
-I need to be able to edit photos on it CS3
-I would like it to be fast
-I want to have the chance to play games on it (video card issue) but not very high tech games on it
-I want to be able to watch movies on it (sound is not a big issue)

Anything ellse you guys shuggest i add to it,

oh yeah the price tag. Lets try to keep it around 1000US dollars

Thanks alot guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 am 
Hey Alex, those were the exact same considerations I had when I was picking my notebook! I eventually settled on the MacBook Pro.

I think Dell gives the best bang for buck at that price point. What kind of settings do you plan to play the games at? You can get away with lower resolutions and AA turned off but a 15" screen would show up the "uglyness" more than a smaller screen would. I'd say definitely avoid integrated graphics and the Nvidia 8400(or equivalent) minimum. Go for the 8600 if you can get it within budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm 
The game aspect could be a problem, but you should look into the Macbooks from Apple.

I currently use a PC laptop, but will switch to a Macbook Pro in the upcoming month.

And with a Mac, you can always run Windows on that Macbook! And it's arguably faster than running Windows on a PC.

I'm just saying it wouldn't be too bad to do some research on some Macbooks.

Best,
-Sean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:41 pm 

The core of a Mac is now no different than the equivalent spec'd PC, other than a fatter price tag for the styling. Don't forget the price of windows if you want to add that to a Mac.

Also further consider $1000 buys you a lot more computer in the US than in Europe. Even in the US, the Macbook Pro is closest to meeting the requirements and starts at double the budget! So basically Apple are not even remotely in the right ball park here.

Based on UK prices, there is lots of choice in the the price range. Picking one that sounds like it might fit the bill is:
"Fujitsu Siemens V5545 Laptop Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.00GHz 2048MB 250GB DVD-SM 15.4" WXGA Bluetooth ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 Camera Windows Vista Premium" for a UK price of £490 ($980).

Right ball park?

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:25 am 
Take it from me mate if you want to play games on a laptop it is gonna be big (For the hardware needed) and expsensive for anything bar solitare and pacman and TBH its because of the low spec of the onboard GPU cards. Most games now need DX9 to run all but the simple games.

On board GPUs are very bad mostly because they are shared not dedicated, and its all very well and good having a 17" TFT screen on a laptop for watching films and photo editing but you then need the power and hardware to use it a screen that size...

For the likes of adobe CS3 etc a normal 15"TFT and 1GB of RAM is fine with a 64bit low end CPU (I have a compaq R3000 and its fine with CS3.) I would advise to get the best you can afford as the technology changes so quick you need to future proof as much as possible, you can upgrade the HDD and RAM later so get the best CPU and GPU you can from the get go....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:48 am 

I don't see any point in getting a laptop with less than 2GB ram as the price difference is so tiny and it will noticeably hinder performance to skimp there. While a high end (to rival a desktop) gaming laptop will be way over budget, there are lower end discreet gfx options which might be good enough for casual gaming, such as the one in my earlier post. My ancient laptop has a Radeon Mobility 9700 in it and it will still run games such as WoW and Eve online smoothly enough, at a cost in visual quality settings of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:10 pm 

If you're expecting to do much image processing then forget about the graphics capabilities, what you want is a great screen. Sadly, at $1000 that's going to prove difficult. Also, you'll get more bang for your bucks if you use XP Pro as opposed to Vista. The only thing I know about Macbooks is that they're grossly over-priced. At least in the UK anyway.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:19 pm 

zorro wrote:
If you're expecting to do much image processing then forget about the graphics capabilities...

... so the integrated graphics will do fine? ... i'm also planning on getting a new laptop in the near(ish) future

... also, any warnings on what type of screens to stay away from (purely for photo editing, not into gaming)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:53 pm 

If you don't need much by way of 3D capabilites, integrated gfx are fine. With the integration in a laptop, there are generally no quality issues with the signalling between the gfx chip and the screen, so any chipset will be fine visually. It's only using them on an analog external monitor where differences might be seen.

There was a discussion in the past on if screens should be glossy or 'frosty' (matte?). It's down to personal preference, like the feel of cameras, so worth trying to see candidate laptops in real life if possible.

Also, on XP vs Vista, do note that MS have practically stopped shipping XP. The only exceptions are XP home for the tinies like the Asus Eee and downgrade rights with Vista Business edition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:10 pm 
The next-gen PS will make sure of hardware graphic acceleration so if you want a more future-proof laptop, then it doesn't hurt to get dedicated graphics.

I agree with Zorro's advice about screens though, maybe save some money and get an external monitor. Most notebook's monitors are pretty bad.

Thomas, as far as photo editing is concerned, stay away from 6bit monitors. Try get an 8bit, pricey though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:40 pm 
You would build a SUPER PC for the same price as a laptop and would have a better option to upgrade also. But this might not be an option for you!!! Maybe if some members live near you they could do it...I would if I was near you or any other member.

I disagree with the other members saying go for the best screen as you then need hardware to view it in all its glory. If you really want a super screen get a SONY VAIO they charge you more for the same tech but their screens are AWESOME.

You should get the best CPU (dual core are standard more or less) and 2/3Gig ram as was stated already its cheap to get the extra memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 pm 
iv been working and studying computers all my life and the best laptop/notebook I have ever used by far is the Macbook pro, followed closely behind is the normal macbook.

The macbook only comes with a 13.3" screen and is great for portability, but if you want a bigger screen then the macbook pro is the only option from a MAC point of view.

Reasons the macbook's are fantastic notebooks:
-Style, they are very nice looking notebooks, slim, sleek and nice to use.

-Mac's dont need to have firewall/antivirus software running, bogging the system down. this is because there is hardly any nasty stuff made for mac.

-Mac's sleep function (miles better than windows).. When i have finished with my macbook I just push the lid down and it goes in to sleep mode hardly using any battery. when I want to use it again I just open the lid and it awakes within 1-2 seconds. its been 7 days since i actually turned it off.

-Macs are really sleekto use and there not difficult to use or get used to if your a windows user.

-Less errors, lag and crashes than windows, this is because Mac OSX is designed and only works on Mac hardware.

As far as games go, macs are not so good as there are only a selection that are made for them. You can if you want install windows on a macbook if you wish.

Macbook/macbook pro highly recommended from me :).. So much that my windows desktop has now become redundant and my macbook pro is now my primary computer (it was originally only going to be a secondary portable laptop)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:30 pm 

If the primary use for this laptop is to be image editing then screen quality is the most important attribute.

I have a Fujitsu-Siemens laptop and it's great for the money, about £450ish. I always take it when we go abroad and I do some editing on it while I'm away. However I always keep the original images and when I get back home I transfer the original files and the edits to my desktop machine. I have yet to retain an image edited on the laptop in preference to what can be achieved on my desktop machine. This is down to the screen I use at home being infinitely superior. It's still fun to edit on the laptop but ultimately I suspect you'd need to spend a fair bit of money to really do your images justice.

This is my laptop, note the shiny screen. My next laptop will have a matte screen, if they're still available then.

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.co.uk/home/p ... _2515.html

My desktop monitor is a Samsung 226BW, Yes, I would buy another.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:55 pm 
Zorro once the laptop screen is calibrated to a decent standard i.e colourmonki etc... it the pics when printed that matter. I have a BenQ 24" HD TFT monitor and they dont look a hell of alot better then my laptop!

Last edited by Wonda Boy on Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am 

the only thing keeping me away from desktops is the fact that i usually don't know what part of the world i'll be at the end of each year... that's also why i'm undertaking open-distance learning for my university studies... i hate staying in one place for too long...

... that fujitsu looks quite appealing zorro, thanks for the link...