Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 pm 
Hi Guys
I found out about SP1 for vista, and then tried looking for it through windows update, but it would not find it (this was about 2-3 weeks after the official launch)! So i went onto the Microsoft website and downloaded obserdly large(~450MB) SP1, manually and tried installing it. It started fine went through all of the steps it should complete, but then it got to "Update stage 3 of 3 100% complete" i thought to myself finally, no more BSOD :D ! But then it said "service pack did not install properly, reverting changes" :evil: I have tried installing it four times now, including in SAFE MODE, i have also followed all the steps on the Microsoft website, but none of them worked :?
Please if anyone has had this problem and has resolved it, let me know!
Also i am running Vista HP, 1GB Ram, 120 HD, 128 GC.
Thanks
Ed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:41 pm 

Hi Ed,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. There are a number of things about Vista I don't particularly like but personally I've found it less susceptible to BSODs. It sounds to me as though there's a driver on your system which is not only causing stability problems but may also be causing SP1 compatibility issues.

When it launches you might find that the Windows Vista Compatibility Center might be helpful.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:59 am 
Vista is - in my opinion - the worst OS that Microsoft has ever released.

I wish I knew a fix that could help you, but I threw my Vista Ultimate out some time ago because it's a steaming pile of camel-dung..lol.

Heck, even getting rid of the bloody thing was obscenely difficult and time-consuming.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 am 
I hope you can solve your problems but considering the relatively small community here compared to the whole of the interweb and the fact that this is a photography forum I doubt that you will find the answer here. But I hope I'm wrong.

Late December 2006 I was sent an article from here: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/p ... _cost.html

The version then was dated 28 December 2006. It has been updated since.

It was written by someone who had done his homework by reading the full specs (at least of the whole DRM part) of Vista so the guy knew what he was talking about. And early in the article he wrote:

Quote:
"The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute the longest suicide note in history."

An excellent line that succeeded in grabbing my attention and that helped to make me read the whole article. I am glad I did. It is definitely worth reading.

It became clear to me that the DRM functionality that was so deeply embedded throughout the OS and had nothing to do with making it run better (quite the opposite) would totally cripple Vista and would introduce innumerable problems that didn't need to be there. It is an OS that simply is not designed for/in the interest of the computer user. Period!

After having read the full article the future of Vista was clear to me. I made a few predictions at the time, even before Vista had actually been released, to the sender of the article about how the big manufacturers (Dell, HP, etc) would pressure Microsoft into keeping XP in production because they would want to sell PCs to their customers with XP instead of Vista. Which is indeed what happened.

So when I tested Vista, I guess a little less than a year ago, it didn't come as a great surprise to me that I was hugely unimpressed with it. I had taken the precaution of installing it on a separate freshly formatted disk with which I temporarily replaced my regular drive which I didn't want to be messed up. I kind of expected Vista to be wanting to do all kind of unspeakable things to my hard drive and all the signs were there that indeed it did. So I'm not surprised that LahLahSr tells us how much trouble he had getting rid of Vista. It is the nature of the beast that it wants to take full control of your system and doesn't want to let go. So I didn't expect it would play nice with the other operating systems already on my HD. All my systems are multi-boot.

It is highly unlikely that I will ever use Vista. If Microsoft comes to its senses (which will take a while) and produces a normal OS again that will be in with a chance but otherwise I can live with XP for many years to come.

Ben

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:41 pm 
podgeorge I think what you are experiencing is a problem with a hardware driver on your system. The SP won't install if it doesn't contain the correct device drivers. I would suggest you go through the Device Manager and update all drivers and try to do the install after that. Vista has terrible issues with drivers and the best solution they could come up with is not allowing the update to install if your system was not completely up to date. The worst part is, it won't tell you what is wrong. It will simply stop and roll back. I hope this will give you somewhere to start at least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:50 am 
i've installed sp1 on two vista machines and not had a problem, bsod usually suggests hardware issues or some major corruption in the file system.

Have you tried doing a full hard drive scan for errors? if you cant find any obvious errors in that or in the device manager i would just reinstall vista and start again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:09 pm 

LahLahSr

Getting rid of it is easy; format c:\

LOL!

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:07 pm 
Site Admin

I'm also sorry to hear about your problems with SP1. I've only installed it once, and it worked fine, but the process took a long while to complete - about an hour all-in...

The great thing about the internet though is lots of people will already have experienced the same issue and reported on it. So when I'm confronted with a strange error, I literally paste the entire message into google and see what comes back. 9 times out of 10 you'll find an answer or at least some condolences on the first page of results...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:11 am 
To all those saying that Vista is the worst OS from Microsoft...maybe you've never used Windows ME?

Anywho, this thread is to try to help this guy, not slam Vista. Have you installed all other updates for your system? I highly recommend you use Windows Update instead of the standalone file, it's a much smaller file for one thing. Perhaps you could post an NFO file of your system. It doesn't contain any personal/identifying information, just system info. Just go into the search function on the Start Menu, type "System Information" and save to an NFO. And what you do with that file is a mystery to me since you can't attach anything on these forums. But if you have a way of getting it here go for it. It's about 1.5mb, so if you're interested, you can e-mail it to me as a last resort. I'll PM you with my e-mail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:12 am 
Yes I agree that Vista is far from being the worst OS Microsoft has made. I used ME for a few years and it was RUBBISH.

As a last resort, you could make a backup of all your files(120gb HD so it can't be too bad) and then reformat and install SP1 first before you put everything back. Last resort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:07 pm 

Hi there.

Not an expert but..."i thought to myself finally, no more BSOD". Would it be fair to infer from this statement that prior to the SP1 failed install you were already having severe problems with your Vista installation? It sounds like that's what you're saying. If so then expecting the SP1 update to install without problems is a tad optimistic. I'd personally suggest you back up all your important files and reformat, then install SP1.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:33 am 
should've bought a mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 am 
I have Vista Home Premium pre installed on my HP Pavilion Dv 6000 Laptop, I installed SP1 with no problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:39 am 

Tomis wrote:
should've bought a mac

ROFLMAO

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject: Vista SP1
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:13 pm 
If you used auto update and didn't succeed, try downloading SP1 from the Microsoft site. It's a hassle but might work better than an installed update that's coming in via your internet connection. If it works, it may ask for a valid code number after you reboot.

I also have a couple of Macs -- they always work pretty well.

Last edited by JimmyA on Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.