Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:40 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Computer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:17 pm 
Ok I'm looking to buy a new PC and would like some advice. I know most of you use Mac but I'm a PC using. Always have been and feel comfortable with a PC. Anyway I'm not computer smart at all. I'v been looking at this computer, I was wondering if you all thought this was a good deal and if it was what I needed for a small photo business?

My Components
PROCESSOR Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Professional edit
MONITOR 22 inch SP2208WFP Wide Flat Panel with Webcam and Mic edit
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz- 4DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 750GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™ edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD+/-RW Drive edit
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce 8600GT-DDR3 256MB edit
SOUND Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
KEYBOARD & MOUSE Logitech Cordless Laser Desktop MX 3200 Keyboard and Mouse edit
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER No Floppy Drive Included edit
MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem edit
My Software & Accessories
PRINTER Dell Wireless AIO 968 - Integrated WiFi, Fax, 2.4” Display and Card Reader edit
SERVICE & SUPPORT 1 yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange edit
DELL 968 WIRELESS PRINTER Dell 968w All-In-One Wireless Printer edit
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE McAfee SecurityCenter with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 30-Days edit
OFFICE SOFTWARE Microsoft Works 9.0 edit
My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor, 24x7 Phone Support edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Included 3 GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Yr edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Labels Windows XP™
PHOTO AND MUSIC SOFTWARE No Entertainment software pre-installed

Thanks
Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:32 pm 

If it is a good deal depends on the price! The overall spec is solid assuming you're not into heavy gaming :D

One minor note, you have 4 GB of ram listed and XP as operating system. Due to the PC architecture, you will probably find you only have around 3GB of that ram accessible under XP. To get all 4 GB you really need a 64 bit operating system, which in practice means going Vista. The loss is slightly annoying but in most cases you probably wont notice the difference. Given the low price of ram, I wouldn't bother lowering the quantity.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:06 pm 
I know you said you are more comfortable with a PC and that's absolutely fine but have you ever tried out a mac? From a less confident users point of view they are much more user friendly than PC's.

The spec of the system you quoted was good, seems like a fast solid system and it will provide you with all your photographic needs (hardware wise).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:39 am 
Well, it may be better to have a couple of 250 or 320 gb instead of a single one of 750, just in case.

The rest seems nice :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:14 am 

Seems fine, just about perfect tbh.

I prefer building my own, just a preference, then i choose no junk getting installed =D downside is if you mess up, well lol, its your own fault!

As for Hard Drives - yeah dont get a 750Gb :/

Applications like photoshop etc. like to have other drives to write temp stuff too, so it doesnt slow the app read/writing data to the same drive.

I'd suggest 1 x 250Gb drive for OS, your music w/e and another 2 x 250Gb drives for photos. Put the other 250s in Raid 1, which will mean what it writes to one, it writes to the other, so if a hard drive goes down, you still in the game =D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:43 am 
Personally I'd say go for the Core 2 duo E8500 instead.

Other than the graphics card, which is a bit naff, thats a decent spec.

If the guy is used to using a PC and not a Mac, then the poster should get the pc. I've used a regular pc for as long as I can remember and don't wish I had a mac. They are overpriced for what you get anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:01 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
They are overpriced for what you get anyway.

Ouch! This could turn nasty! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:30 am 
Hi Karen,

I'm not sure what kind of monitor that is, but for photo editting you would probably want a 8-bit display and not the 6-bit displays that are are norm. The 8-bit displays can display 16+ million colours vs the 260+k of the 6-bit panels. This means no banding effects when viewing your photos, important for editting.

If you do editting with Photoshop, it is worthwhile to get a quad-core vs a dual-core processor as PS can benefit from the two extra cores. *Not sure about other programs though.

Edit*

I don't think there is any need to start a Mac vs PC debate seeing as the thread starter clearly indicated that a choice between them was not necessary.

Last edited by grahamnp on Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:03 am 
Looking at Karen's list, it looks like the spec is for a Dell so you don't get an endless list of what you can specify as to what you can put in it or attach to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:26 am 
Welly wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
They are overpriced for what you get anyway.

Ouch! This could turn nasty! :)

Not really. It's just an opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 pm 

Gregory.Rotter wrote:

Naff in what way? 3D performance maybe, but hard core gaming wasn't a stated usage for the PC. So pretty much anything would do the job there.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:05 am 
DD_nVidia wrote:
Put the other 250s in Raid 1, which will mean what it writes to one, it writes to the other, so if a hard drive goes down, you still in the game =D

RAID is the way :D

I dont think that the graphics card is bad, its about average.
It may perform not quite perfect in hardoce games, but in PS and in not so demanding games its a good decision.

If u want more for the buck a 9 series its better, for about 50usd more

And... i dont have anything against DELL, but i sugest you that you build your own PC, at least youll save about 15%, in my case i save about 20% when i build my pc. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:28 am 
Only thing I'd change would be to try and get more monitor-acreage instead of the webcam & mic.

A 22 inch has the asme height as a 19 inch, but is merely wider. For photography, I'd strive to get as large a monitor as I could afford.

Good luck with the new rig!

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:55 pm 
popo wrote:
Gregory.Rotter wrote:

Naff in what way? 3D performance maybe, but hard core gaming wasn't a stated usage for the PC. So pretty much anything would do the job there.

hence why the card is naff. You might as well use a second hand ebay bought cheaper card since ANYthing will do. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:45 pm 
Just guessing but I would imagine the specs of the system he posted in the original post are one of the pre made systems which includes everything in one package.. Makes customising a bit more difficult.

Chances are if a person is asking such a question like that he is not a complete tech head like some of us here and I think for his usage the system he specified would be more than adequate for his needs.