Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 am 

Hi all! I've been away from this forum for a while, but come back asking for computer advice as I know many of you are as interested/knowledgeable about computers as you are about cameras!

Basically, I've upgraded my new HP Pavilion Computer from 2 512MB RAM cards to 1 2GB RAM card- I asked for 2 1GB RAM cards, but this would have cost a lot more. My two questions are...

1. Is 1 2GB RAM card significantly better than 2 512MB RAM cards? (I'm hoping the answer is a definite yes!)

2. Is 1 2GB RAM card significantly worse than 2 1GB RAM cards? I know dual core motherboards are meant to work better with 2 cards, but apparently my laptop doesn't specify this and it "should be fine".

Thanks as always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:02 am 
I think you already know the answer to this...

Question 1) one 2GB is better than two 512MB

Question 2) one 2GB is generally worse than two 1GB. However it depends on what make/quality of ram you have. Two crappy 1GB are going to be worse than one excellent 2GB ones.

I think all the above is correct :roll: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:53 am 
The more the merrier! More ram almost always helps especially for editting photos but this only applies if you make full use of all your ram. The huge jump from 64 to 128gb probably wouldn't make any difference at all for the average user.

It is generally better to have 2 identical sticks of the same RAM as the computer can then access them individually and thus get things done faster this is called "Dual-channel". It's not essential and the performance increase is not as much as the description suggests. You'll be fine. :)

Also, I don't think dual channel technology is specific to dual-core systems. It should provide some benefit to all. I'm not exactly sure though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:11 am 
Using 2x1GB would speed up your system a tiny bit, but in getting a 1x2GB stick you get other advantages.

You can upgrade your computer at a later point and take more RAM in total, should you need it. Since you've got more slots free. Also, some motherboards tend not to like dual-channel, i'm not sure why but i've heard of a lot of people getting problems running in it but i don't hear many complaining about single channel.

The speed difference won't be much, and will still be a big jump from 512mb, you should be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:26 am 

Thanks for your replies, uve definately put my fears to rest- I'm glad there isn't a huge difference between 2x1GB and 1x2GB!

Cheers!