Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:31 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:42 pm 
I am in between the MacBook and the MacBook Pro. There is a pretty notable difference in the prices of either model. I am willing to spend the extra for the Pro, but I am wondering if I really need that extra power. I plan to do all of my photoshop work on the Mac, as my home computer is a relative of the dinosaurs and cannot do the task!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance for input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:24 pm 

macbook pro better graphics card and room for 4GB of memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:22 pm 
You would probably be better off with the MacBook Pro purely because of the screen size - 13.1", for the Macbook vs 15.4" or 17" for the Macbook Pro. And of course, being able to expand the MacBook Pro up to 4GB is also very handy. The graphics card doesn't make a great deal of different but certainly screen size and the extra ram capacity does. If you've got the money for the pro, then definitely go for the pro.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 8:32 pm 
both will work well....... but the Pro will be better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:05 am 
... bigger and faster is always better. 8)
It's really a budget issue more than anything. People generally buy cheaper because they don't have the money, and it gets the job done. No Macbook user in their right would turn down a MacBook Pro, UNLESS size is an issue., Macbooks are nice and small. If you do have the $$ for the MacBook Pro, you will very happy, especially if you will running Aperture or Lightroom and Photoshop etc.
If you aren't totally set on OS X, the Dell XPS line is smoking!, and they actually have really good service.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:35 am 
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I thought the regular MacBook could be expanded to 4GB of RAM. I am probably wrong.

I would like to get away with spending the lesser amount of money and get the MacBook. Does any one here use the MacBook as opposed to the Pro? And does the small screen size really limit the user's capabilities?

Thanks again for all the input, everything is valued.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:53 am 
I find the size of my 15" MBP a bit small sometimes for photoshop work, so I wouldn't want to go any smaller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:36 am 
Bad_Blood wrote:
Thanks for everyone's replies.

I thought the regular MacBook could be expanded to 4GB of RAM. I am probably wrong.

you are not wrong, macbook can be expanded to 4g........

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjec ... FYK9DXPCFF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:25 pm 
With so many Apple's Aperture making use of CoreImage, I wish I had bought a Macbook Pro.

If money is not an issue, get the Macbook Pro. I've used a friend's MBP and I don't find it significantly larger than my Macbook. I do notice the performance difference though ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:19 am 
The performance difference a top spec Macbook and entry level Macbook Pro are minimal for Photoshop work. You will notice a difference in Aperture though as it makes use of the GPU. That and the screen size of course. The MBP also has an LED backlit screen which is much brighter.