Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC

Which operating system do you use?
Windows 60%  60%  [ 38 ]
Mac 32%  32%  [ 20 ]
Linux 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Other (are there others?) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 63
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:25 pm 

I think once the "lounge" has been decorated we should have a computer security thread. It's in everyone's interests. A computer help thread will also prove useful.

Zorro.

P.S. - Remember you have a camera. If you find it daunting to fit more RAM then take the side off and take a photo. Post the photo here and I'm sure folks will help you. I know I will. Don't go to a shop for something like that. They'll charge you an arm and a leg and you still won't know what's happened. It's a straightforward job, honest.

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:51 pm 
Voted Windows best compatibilites all around.

Even a modest proctected system with like crippled windows xp sp2 firewall and a solid av solution will fight of any threats i have seen so far .

In a corperate world the problem is of course more difficult but as a home user id go for windows any day.

Would use linux if it wasnt that so far i havent been happy with any and distro released and way to much hassle with games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:19 pm 
Chose Linux (Fedora 7) because... well, it's all I've used for the past eight years and have never really felt happy using anything else (except perhaps FreeBSD; besides, most of the technical software I need for my other ventures is best on a kind of Unix). Works great with my Canon EOS 400D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:01 pm 
I voted for Windows (currently running XP), but I prefer Mac.

If I was able to transform all my Windows software to Mac software (games, MS office, Photoshop,...), I'd get a Mac tomorrow... :o

Not that i'm not satisfied with the HP laptop & Windows XP I have running now, but I have to say a Mac and Mac OS are verrry good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:05 pm 

I use Windows XP most of the time, although I do have Windows Vista Ultimate x86 Build 6000 (final) on another drive. I've used Ubuntu and Kubuntu Linux, but I suppose I'm just to used to how windows works, having used windows since I was 3, I don't think anyone can blame me for that lol! I've also used Mac OS X 10.4 - and its pretty good, but the OS seems a little, well slow, and transitions seem to get in my way a lot, and Photoshop, oh my god, it doesn't have a background! What is with that! I love having a nice gray background on Photoshop on the PC, since I usually have it spanning across my 2 screens, and lay stuff out on it like I would a separate table, because I wouldn't lay out photo prints on the kitchen table when it has food on it, so why wold i lay my stuff out in photoshop with the desktop right behind it!

I still stick with XP - but XP is broke, Microsoft admitted it, some of the flaws are "un-fixable" and are down to the core architecture of the OS and the file system, which was supposed to be changed for Vista, but the new WinFS file system was dropped for Vista, more than likely to cause more buss for "Windows 7" or "Vienna" (or even "Blackcomb" as it was first known) but thats 2009-2011 material lol!

I'll probably only use Vista for gaming (DX10) besides the XP interface is really customiseable, but the hardware acceleration for the GUI in Vista means even more outrageous UI concepts can be done without slowing the machine (making the gpu do all the UI work rather than putting the load on a CPU that is trying to deal with other things.

Anyway, XP for now, Vista for games, OS X 10.5's Dock looks amazing, oh and you can run OS X 86 on your ordinary PC providing it supports SSE2/SSE3 :D

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm 

Hi Mark!

I know you're bust now that you bought your Nikon D80 + 18-200mm VR :wink:
But before buying a new computer it's certainly cheaper to get that extra Gig of RAM - really!! It's so cheap these days: you can get 2Gig for 70EUR :shock:
...if that much fits into your machine...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:53 pm 

I use a Mac, but I also have a computer with Linux and Windows XP on it.
I like my Mac, it's reliable, easy to use, quiet, doesn't need any anti virus, doesn't slow down over time (as windows does) and includes iLife.

Linux nowadays is not to hard anymore, but some things just don't work as well as they should. E.g. I'm doing an update now of my Suse linux and it takes forever.

Hans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:55 am 
I use XP for now. I used Ubuntu for a couple of days and I double booted with SuSE for a while but I've gotten rid of Linux now. I play games so Windows is a must and I like to choose my own PC components so Macs are out. Plus, there isn't much software that is Mac or Linux only.

Windows is probably the most unstable and unreliable of all that I've used(partly because of the way I use the computer) but I'm willing to reformat every few months because it's the only one that works for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:57 am 

Most of my software (Photoshop CS2, ACDSee) is on running on Windows XP, but more recently I've been using the MacBook (2.16 duo core 2) with Adobe Lightroom. I definitely like the workflow of the program and the speed of Lightroom on the MacBook. I think the differences were more pronounced in the past, but now each platform will give you about the same results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:54 pm 
Voted for Windows, since that's what I'm currently using (Vista x32); however, I will someday make the plunge to a MacBook Pro. At least that's my intention. I've been using Windows machines forever, but would like to move past that if I can. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:16 pm 

Voted Mac as i will use this for my photography needs, but i do use windows for music creation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:15 pm 

Oh, music. And anither Scot. Life is good.

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:19 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:
but i do use windows for music creation.

Music creation.... that got my attention, would that be MIDI, wav, wma, ogg etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:31 am 

FLAC is my bag

Zorro 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Hi Zorro, do you have any preferences on FLAC settings or rippers like EAC?