Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:36 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
you're paying for the apple sticker. If you can 'live with windowns' and have the brains to build your own pc then you're better off doing that.

all comes down to this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:58 am 
The extra money for a mac is worth it imo, not as much frustration as my old PC was

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:42 am 
grahamnp wrote:
EDIT: Just had a look at the specs. 1066MHz FSB! Guess not then. 8)

Ok I was wrong. It is a notebook CPU. Kinda low-handed of Apple to leave all references to notebook components out IMO. For example: The HD2600XT is a Mobility Radeon HD2600XT. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:10 pm 

What's wrong with using notebook components? They run cooler, using less power and seem to benchmark pretty well using Apple's modified mobos. Remember, Apple don't stick completely to Intel's chipset configurations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 am 
Nothing wrong with notebook components as far as the CPU is concerned because, as you say, it runs pretty well. However, the GPU they are using is a mobile GPU and it does not run as fast as the desktop equivalent which the name suggests it is.

I am not saying that Apple is obliged to put desktop components in the iMac just because it is a desktop but it is confusing if the GPU is an important factor in the purchase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:55 pm 
Is the extra money you spend for an iMac worth it?

Yes!

You're paying for an operating system that actually works. You're buying hardware that's optimised. And it looks great.

Applications run so smooth it's a dream.

The only thing I regret is that I didn't get on the Apple bandwagon sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:00 pm 
luis wrote:

I plan to hop on!

If you look at the notebooks, in Malaysia, the entry-level Macbook Pro costs RM6999 while a similarly spec-ed(slightly higher) Dell XPS M1530 costs RM6499. That's not too big a difference given the OS flexibility the MBP gives you. The iMacs are expensive though, I guess you pay for the style and small footprint but I do understand that those factors are invaluable to some people. Fortunately, the speed of OSX makes up for the hardware deficiency.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:00 pm 
grahamnp wrote:
luis wrote:

I plan to hop on!

If you look at the notebooks, in Malaysia, the entry-level Macbook Pro costs RM6999 while a similarly spec-ed(slightly higher) Dell XPS M1530 costs RM6499. That's not too big a difference given the OS flexibility the MBP gives you. The iMacs are expensive though, I guess you pay for the style and small footprint but I do understand that those factors are invaluable to some people. Fortunately, the speed of OSX makes up for the hardware deficiency.

dont buy dell xps, go for the inspirion model with the same specs, it will cost you nearly 1000 USD less, (more likley 700). the XPS name is basically just for a cooler looking body and a special support number with better customer service, but in my experiance, dell normal customer service is the most plesent number ive ever had to make a service call to. they even call back just to make sure everything went how i wanted the next day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:27 pm 
Wondered into a mac store last night to buy a new ipod and had a play with the new 24 inch iMac with some of my files which I had on a portable hard drive. Well all I can say is that it makes images look great, but also it will show how bad your photography can be.

The machine I played with was a 2.8 with 2m of ram, and was quite quick. Very impressed with how quick it opened a RAW file, and a file of 1.14g in size which I had on the portable hard drive all this was done on Photoshop CS3....... but be warned, play with one and you will want to have it......

........ and yes mine is on the way, 3.06 with 4g of ram...... and the iPod is also great, will be testing it in the car today......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 8:39 am 
Thanks smiles77 but I find that the Inspiron models are too heavy and chunky for my tastes plus the fact that the XPS has the 8600m GT with DDR3 memory vs the DDR2 of the Inspiron. Lol I know 3dMark scores aren't everything but that difference alone adds up to 700 points in the 3dMark06. Either way, if everything goes according to plan I will get a 2.4ghz MBP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:26 am 

When your buying a Mac your buying a piece of art, a design classic, its designed by one of the worlds top designers Jonathan Ive.

Also when buying a mac your getting top specs components not run of the mill parts that come in most PC's. The build quality and ease of use are second to none.

i also own a PC, but its my mac i always stretch for first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 1:10 am 
Orsan Kart wrote:
When your buying a Mac your buying a piece of art, a design classic, its designed by one of the worlds top designers Jonathan Ive.

Also when buying a mac your getting top specs components not run of the mill parts that come in most PC's. The build quality and ease of use are second to none.

PCs and Macs use the same parts, its just Apple takes out the stupid human factor and doesn't give you an option for different parts, but generally will just give you what is near "top of the line". as for art? well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:32 am 

The new iMacs are great, but not a big jump compared to the previous ones.
Anyway, they are a little faster and a little cheaper.

Concerning the price compared to pc's, they are not more expensive if you compare it to the same thing (all in one, if you can find one). And don't forget, the power consumption is less and you don't need to pay for yearly antivirus subscriptions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:52 pm 

smiles77 wrote:
Orsan Kart wrote:

PCs and Macs use the same parts, its just Apple takes out the stupid human factor and doesn't give you an option for different parts, but generally will just give you what is near "top of the line". as for art? well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
pc user

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:05 pm 
The Macs are basically PCs with a different operating system on them.

When it comes to photography, they can both run the same software - most photo-related programs are made for both platforms.

However, if you want to use your computer for a wide variety of things - say games - the MACs are the pits, since most games are made for Windows.

Windows XP is fairly stable now and runs fast. If you're hung up on the GUI, you can always install a shell program like windows blinds and stardock and knock yourself out with doo-dads.

Apple is a brand name, using common generic components wrapped in a unique - and for some - pleasing design, paired with an operating system that is well suited for beginners, since it's so user friendly.

But that comes with a surcharge. Whether it's worth it, is an individual preference of course.

I choose to use a Windows PC because of the much larger selection of software for it and because it is - by far - the most common operating system in the world. Sure, I might find MAC OS more intuitive, but having been on the Windows platform since Windows was introduced, it's second nature.

However, VISTA is an unmitigated disaster..lol.

Cheers :-)