Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New iMac's
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:50 pm 
the new iMacs look very good....... well worth a look if you need a new computer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 pm 
Is it true that the iMacs use notebook CPUs and GPUs? Kinda disappointing given that it's a desktop.

Thinking of getting a Mac next, not a desktop though. :)

EDIT: Just had a look at the specs. 1066MHz FSB! Guess not then. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:52 pm 
....... looking at getting the top of the line with 4 gig of ram....... and the 24 inch screen will make my 20 inch look small........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
O.t in this thread, but my next upgrade will be to an intel E8400. I never thought much of Mac's when it comes to what you pay for them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:21 pm 
does anyone know why (seriously) when you look at a mac with the same specs as a pc, the mac costs more?

i was considering a macbook but nevermind now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:01 pm 
you're paying for the apple sticker. If you can 'live with windowns' and have the brains to build your own pc then you're better off doing that. Means you can just swap out the motherboard, cpu and ram later on. Graphics wise, ive gone from a single 7900gt, to two 7900gt's in sli, to a 7950GX2, to an 8800gtx which ive got at the moment. Since the 7900gt, i've had an x2 4600 2gb ram, a 320gb hdd, a 10k 70gb Raptor, and a few dvd writers. Had my pc two years. Only now just thinking about an E8400 Core 2, 2gb of faster spec ram than my current set, a new asus mobo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:46 pm 
smiles77 wrote:
does anyone know why (seriously) when you look at a mac with the same specs as a pc, the mac costs more?

It's because although the numbers are the same, you actually get more. Macs tend to be faster, more powerful and more stable (mostly because they have a better operating system). Especially when compared to a PC running Vista!

I just wish I could afford one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 pm 
calmac1991 wrote:
smiles77 wrote:

It's because although the numbers are the same, you actually get more. Macs tend to be faster, more powerful and more stable (mostly because they have a better operating system). Especially when compared to a PC running Vista!

I just wish I could afford one!

so many things wrong with that >.< macs and pcs basically use the same parts. processors and all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:24 am 
True, but the software is not the same so there's your difference. The benchmarks don't lie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:44 am 
...... and you have got to love a mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:23 am 
I bet you have an ipod too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:34 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
I bet you have an ipod too..

....... I do..... but it died about 3 months ago and I have not had a chance to do anything about said pod..... think it needs a new battery as it is about 5-6 years old....... soon

and I also have a 12 inch powermac that is about 4-5 years old and I have carried all over Australia and around the world when I travel..... I run PSCS2, Capture NX, and Lightroom on this little beast which is more than enough to view pixs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 am 

The new iMacs look good but are only a small speedbump. The top end one does have a faster processor and graphics card but comes at a price. I'm still pleased I went for a 24" 2.4GHz refurb model last month. I knew there was going to be a refresh soon but couldn't turn down the £200 saving the refurb model offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:25 pm 
must admit that I keep changing my mind........ iMac 3.2 or PowerMac 2.66 quad....... both around the same price, iMac has the 24inch screen, PowerMac has the raid H/D system and I have a 20inch cinema screen...... seems that I am a bit put off by the glossy screen, might have to wait till I can get to a mac store late next week and have a play with the 24 inch and some of my files....... don't you hate waiting when there is a new toy to have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:31 pm 
my monitor doesnt have an apple sticker, but it's an NEC 20WGX2, 20" and it's glossy. I'll never have a monitor that isn't glossy again I love it so much lol :P The screen just 'pops' more than a anti glare coated one.