Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:36 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:09 am 

I am in the market for a NEW pc FOR Photo editing. It would seem that using a tablet laptop computer would be ideal for photo editing. Rather than using a separate digital tablet for selecting and editing, I would think you should be able to use the tablet pen on the tablet screen with the photo.
Question: has anyone explored using a tablet pc for this purpose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:45 am 

Hello Gene, and welcome to the friendly Camera Labs forum!
I moved your post to the computer section. I hope you get more response there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:17 pm 

Hello G551,

What exactly do you mean by photo editing ? Do you mean simple retouches, or complex graphical work that modifies deeply the photograph ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:35 pm 

Hey G551,

first of all: welcome to the forums!!

I've edited photos using digitizers and mouse, but never directly on a screen such as your tablet or a touch-sensitive monitor, but I went back to using a mouse as I was never really thrilled about the pen. For extended sessions - not unlike handwriting - I felt it fatigued my fingers and hand.

The merits of these gadgets depend a lot on your work flow, I think. For the most part, I don't hand draw, but use the selection tools (lasso and "magic wand"). Everything else I do on my PC is with the mouse as well. FOr more free hand type stuff, I guess would be nice for someone who perhaps already paint or for someone who doesn't get tired fingers from using pens.

In my case, I don't feel that the extra price for this is warranted - I'd rather spend the difference on larger monitor, precision mouse, better processor, GPU and whatnot. But that's just me.

Cheers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:51 pm 

I have to agree with you LahLah. I do own a graphic tablet, that I use to annote pdfs and such for my work.
However, I'd never think of it to use it for photography-related stuff - IMO a mouse is so much more convenient for this.