Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:16 pm 

Hi folks,

With many cameras supporting different degrees of tethered shooting, where the camera is controlled via USB or Ethernet, it seems that the notebook computer has become an important camera accessory, for some at least. They can also do good service on the road to help sort and/or archive photographs. So what would be your ideal notebook if chosen as a camera accessory?

I'll kick off by choosing the new Lenovo ThinkPad X300, described here and reviewed by CNET here, by PCPro here and by NotebookReview.com here.

Image Image

Key Specifications
  • Processor: 1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo SL7100
  • Memory: 2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM (up to 4GB)
  • Storage: 64GB solid-state-disk, DVD writer
  • Display: 13.3in 1,440 x 900 LED backlit TFT
  • Battery: Changeable 6-cell Li-Ion
  • Battery Life: about 6 hours
  • Connectivity: 3 x USB, Gigabit Ethernet, WiFi
  • Security: fingerprint reader & TPM 1.2 module
I still have to get my sticky paws on this machine but I've been a long-time fan of ThinkPad notebooks and, while this is in no shape or form a gaming machine, the combination of a ThinkPad keyboard, a great resolution LED backlit screen (for an ultraportable), a solid state hard disk, a DVD burner to archive photographs while away from home and a very usable battery life has me very interested. The biggest downside is the cost which is on a par with the Macbook Air and the lack of the Air's backlit keyboard which would be very handy for astrophotography. Oh, and it sure don't look as sexy as the Air but maybe practicality wins.

So what notebook would you choose?

Bob.

P.S. No, I don't work for Lenovo! :twisted:

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:29 pm 
Site Admin

Nice laptop - and I've always been fond of Thinkpad keyboards...

I'm a big fan of ultra-portables, and have recently bought a Sony Vaio TZ150N. Beautiful form factor, but lousy performance out the box. This is due to a ridiculous degree of startup items and promotional trials which consumed HALF the 100GB hard disk!

As readers of PCW magazine will know - or will read in a future issue - I've now wiped Vista from it and installed XP - now it runs very nicely!

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:44 pm 
My ideal notebook for long photography sessions is a Macbook (not pro - these are way too heavy and bulky :P ). Good performances, a 4-5 hours battery life, not that heavy, quite thin, and a pleasure to use.

Then again, I'll probably be trying my EEE Pc + bluemarine project after the summer, so this might prove a good alternative.

However, I think that the air would be a disastrous "on the go photography" laptop. No CD/DVD tray, only one USB port, the impossibility to switch batteries...no, the macbook air is definitely reserved to this niche of "road warriors" who take the airplane 5 times per week and just use internet and office applications.

On the other hand, the thinkpad seems nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:51 pm 
I have had the chance serveral time to work with MAC's and some how i have just not clicked with them, I seriously get a "ohh a mac feeling" but in the negative way eery time some one introduces me to thier computer. I used at out school editing movies/films and the only computer i could do that was on the Mac's but i disliked it! But i guess its question of taste. But when it comes to visual editing Mac r quite good at it but naaah..not my cup of team to be honest, no matter how good they r

i m big fan of the windows layout, and that laptop/notebook seems like quite the killer.

Perosanly i just want a fast processor and a good grafics card when it comes to computers in genarl, the hard drive issue can be solved in so many other ways!

its time for me to get a notebook soon so i will start to take a look into that field now...but HP in general has never failed me..and they got some really good notebooks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:54 am 
my traveling companion for the last 4 years has been a 12-inch powermac, & an 80-gig external HD, although it could do with some extra ram, it just works, I use PSCS2, Capture NX, & Lightroom are the main programs I use when I travel. I sort and check images on the fly, work on planes, & in hotel rooms, which saves me time when I return to home base....... but I am looking at a new powerBook ATM....... PB or new lens, pb or new lens, pb or new lens......mmmmmmmmm :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:06 am 
Alienware M15x :twisted:, the Thinkpad T61p or the HP 8510w. I value performance over portability, anything under 17" if fine for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:08 am 

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback - keep it coming please.

That looks like a very nice machine, Gordon. And of course the Macs, in various guises, are always up there. It's probably fair to say that Mac owners tend to be more passionate about their machines than the Windows PC community. I keep thinking it would be nice to broaden my horizons but when I look at the software I use I know I would end up installing Windows which rather defeats the object.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am 
grahamnp wrote:
I value performance over portability

I hope for you that you'll never have to take your 4 kilograms laptop in your backpack for a 5 hour hike then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:35 am 
Not likely :lol:. The Thinkpad and HP weigh less than 3kg and the Alienware...well I was never really gonna get that anyway. I don't really see myself carrying a laptop around though, is it common to take it along with you camera gear on photo shoots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:33 pm 
Depends on your shoot sessions, really. But when you're "on the road" for more than a day or two (holidays for example), a laptop is always a great thing to have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:52 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
It's probably fair to say that Mac owners tend to be more passionate about their machines than the Windows PC community. I keep thinking it would be nice to broaden my horizons but when I look at the software I use I know I would end up installing Windows which rather defeats the object.

Bob.

Hehe, that's a pretty fair assessment! I do really like my MBP but I really resent having to pay the amount that I do for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 am 

Hi folks,

This review of the Lenovo ThinkPad X300 has just been published by the guys over at Trusted Reviews. It's a shame about the reported uneven backlight which would might be a bit of an issue if using the X300 as a camera accessory. :(

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:15 am 
.......Bob you know you want one....... go on....... just get one..... they are very good.....ahhhh you have got to love a Mac :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:33 pm 

Big Pix wrote:
.......Bob you know you want one....... go on....... just get one..... they are very good.....ahhhh you have got to love a Mac :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spot on! Trouble is there are so many conflicting demands on one's discretionary dollars. :evil: Maybe if Canon don't announce a 3D/5D MkII this year... :wink:

Bob.

Post subject: Laptop
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:23 pm 
The Toshiba Libretto is the ideal "notebook" since it's actually notebook size - about 6 x 9 inches. I can carry it in a small shoulder bag all day without it ever getting in the way or being too heavy. Mine runs XP Pro, 1 gb RAM and 60 GB drive (3 years old). Screen is 1280 x 768.