Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 am 

Well, should I buy a SSD or a quad core/mobo? I am pretty happy with my dual core & HDD handling of 40-60Mb D800 files but, wondering if I would see improvement with a SSD. SSD is cheaper than I7 and motherboard.
It is hard not to type SDD.

How 2 the signature below?
In your profile signature, click on BBCode ( linked under options ) and read up!

Visit MrCliff on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:45 am 

I don't think you will see much by way of performance increase unless you are multi tasking with some demanding program's.

I run a quad core with 16gb memory and everything is pretty smooth with LR and circa 20mb files

Got some of the gear but really still no idea...:)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:49 pm 

I on the other hand would say that if you have an SSD, you will see a boost. LR will start faster and more importantly i think the file handling will be improved as read / write access will be faster. No back to back comparisons to support that but i have run an SSD for 2 + years now and would not look back
M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:47 pm 

Thing is though fudge, you don't really store gigabytes worth of photos on your SSD... so yes, LR will start faster, and the computer will in general be a lot more responsive, BUT your bigger storage is still going to be a spinning platter unless you're made of money and can afford a few 500+ GB SSDs.

If you do get an SSD, storing your LR catalogue on the SSD itself will help, as with the preview cache. Keep the actual RAWs on a proper hard drive, as LR doesn't actually access those unless it's building previews or exporting JPEGs. The wedding photography forum I belong to did some speed tests and found no noticeable speed increase by storing RAWs on the SSD - max speed was actually using SSD+HDD together, and making sure to render at least standard-sized previews for all your photos on import.

Canon EOS 5D MkII | Canon EOS 7D | Canon Digital Rebel XSi | EF 35mm f/1.4L | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | EF 135mm f/2L | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 580EX II | LumoPro LP-120

My Flickr