Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:22 pm 

As I said before, I am not planning to. In 2 years I probably will, it's almost sure, but for now I'll keep what I have (unless it breaks down, obviously). Meanwhile I want to get the best I can from what I have, hence the request for help to upgrade my RAM.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:24 am 

Alright then, thanks for all the help! :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:26 am 

I didn't think I'd be back on this thread. :D

A newer video card will only help with programs that take advantage of the GPU. (Typically 3D games and programs that use languages like CUDA and OpenCL.) I suspect most photo editiors rely heavily on the CPU, so upgrading the videocard may not help. Check to see if your most-used programs take advantage of GPU acceleration before going that route. Also, CUDA is exclusively Nvidia, so if CUDA is critical to you, don't buy AMD. I also doubt there are many (if any) cards being made for G5's these days. It'd have to support the Mac model, OSX version, etc. That's more research I'm not in the mood for. :lol:

Info about Open CL and CUDA:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_CL
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

If you're still using 512 MB for photo editing, that's likely your problem. If you can check your RAM usage and you're using all or most of it, I'd recommend increasing the RAM. It'd be the most cost effective solution until you are ready to buy a new PC. Search for "533mhz ddr2-533 pc2-4200 240-pin" online (e.g. newegg.com or amazon.com) and look for pairs of 1 or 2GB modules for a cost estimate.

I think just adding 2GB total would be noticable, but 4GB total may not cost that much more. If you do eventually buy, remember to get matching pairs. Lowers the chance of instability. I don't know if the G5 supports dual-memory channels. If it did, having 4 modules would double the bandwidth (2 processors with 2 channels each).

Quad 2.5 GHz
Power Mac G5 (Late 2005) DIMMs 8, DIMM size Up to 2GB, MAX capacity 16 GB, PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM 240-pin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:04 pm 

ZEMBANU wrote:
you are welcome, I like helping others with pc, cus I know most people dont know enough, and from my personal experience, when i and any 1else dont know enough about something, we make bad choices and mistake, and sometimes they are costly, not just financially!

ZEMBANU wrote:
I bought my pc to learn how to use my cg programs and make highly detailed cg graphics, because of my arrogant father i :wink: dont have my own high speed internet, what I am using now is digcel's so called 4g and using my phone as a modem.
I plan to move out end of january once I manage my money, then I buy high speed and learn how to use my software.
dont advice me any further on my situation I Dont need it!...

With respect ZEMBANU, maybe others know a little more than you?

The thread was posted for advice by anyone/everyone, but it seems only one persons views now matter. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:33 pm 

lagnificent wrote:
If you're still using 512 MB for photo editing, that's likely your problem. If you can check your RAM usage and you're using all or most of it, I'd recommend increasing the RAM. It'd be the most cost effective solution until you are ready to buy a new PC. Search for "533mhz ddr2-533 pc2-4200 240-pin" online (e.g. newegg.com or amazon.com) and look for pairs of 1 or 2GB modules for a cost estimate.

I actually have 90% of memory allocated (not 100% because the computer is likely to crash) and it is always using it all. I never have any other programs running, not even Finder or Dashboard (I found out a way to deactivate both).
I've seen the RAM I need on Adorama.com here. It seems a little expensive, but I know that I can find it cheaper and at least it proves it is still being sold. I also found it quite cheaper at BestBuy.com here. My point with this is that I can still buy it, so thanks again for the help, I'll be sure to check newegg.com and amazon.com for it.