Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dell XPS or MacBook Pro
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:32 am 

I know this is a photography thing but I wonder if there are graphics designers, students around here that can help me.

Hello, I'm debating with myself whether to get a MacBook Pro or the Dell XPS version I will be using it for Photo editing, Graphics Design and Web & Game Development. I'm a Digital Media Dev student and looking for a new machine that will be added to my Win PC but need a mobile computer to take it with me when I'm at University.

Colour Accuracy, Performance are my main needs from either laptops. Also which is the best screen of a laptop for this type of jobs? Glossy or Matte?

Image Image Image
--------------------------------------------------------
I like simple, I like RAW, I like to learn more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:33 pm 

Hi,

can you try a MacBook Pro somewhere? If you don't have loads of Windows programs you can ditch Windows (which with XP and 7 is extremly good!) and start using a Mac.

It's a preference of how you would like to use your machine. The Mac for me is easy to use. So is Windows7. The Mac does things differently, obviously but it is sometimes easier to use.

Try a MBP somewhere and make your mind up yourself. It all comes down to your personal preference. Power what the job in hand will have both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:57 pm 

I've been using Win PC's since my main desktop is a Windows 7 Ulti. I've used MBP before but not for this type of job but for fun and that. I know software wise Win PC is more convenient since they pretty much works on Win Pc's. Although software isn't the case since I can probably work on both Platforms just when I'm somewhere else where I can't use my desktop since I go to places and specially when im on the train where I can work on my University stuff.

My course will be mainly using Adobe products which eats pretty big memory. I got stuck on some work on my PC as its slows down a little bit maybe because I run multiple programs at the same time as I work but thats how I work really.

Image Image Image
--------------------------------------------------------
I like simple, I like RAW, I like to learn more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:31 am 

If you buy Dell,you get more hardware for the price & so,more performance in editing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:44 am 

I can't comment on the screen but I agree with Razvan in saying that you arguably get better pound for pound performance by taking the Dell route but you may prefer the way the MBP works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 am 

One unpleasant discovery I made a few days ago is that I can't connect to the Internet with my MacBook Air using Blackberry Desktop Software. On a Windows machine I get a "Mobile Internet" option but not on the Mac. Maybe Apple just don't like Blackberries, even if they do go together well in pies! :wink:

Bob.