Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:19 pm 

I'm in the process of upgrading my current computer, and I've got two questions that are probably simple, but Google is giving me mixed/unreliable/outdated info.

1. I'm considering either the Core i5-2500K or the Core i7-2600K with a Z68 board. (I'm less familiar with AMD offerings, but if there's something I should be considering, feel free to offer suggestions.) Does Photoshop get a significant boost from hyperthreading? (I don't think the speed boost of the i7 alone justifies the extra ~$100.)

2. To what extent does the graphics card affect Photoshop? Other than Photoshop, the hardest thing I'll ask a GPU to do is stream video on dual HD monitors. I think the integrated Intel HD 3000 of the i5/i7 should be able to handle that. I don't play games or anything, but I'll toss a graphics card into the new build if it will significantly affect Photoshop use. My three options are to stick with the integrated Intel graphics, use a 9500 GT from my current build, or buy a new card. (I was thinking of something like a Radeon HD 6770 or GTX 550 Ti. Are there other graphics cards I should be considering? Since it will only get heavy use while Photoshopping, I'd particularly like to keep the power use and temps low while not under load.) I don't really want to use the 9500 GT. I'd rather leave that in my current machine to have a second computer running. So this choice is really between the integrated HD 3000 or a new HD 6770/GTX 550 Ti/other card.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:37 pm 

I've decided on the Core i5. I figured the $100 difference was better put into an SSD/graphics card/savings. According to various sources, some functions will see significant benefits from hyperthreading and others won't. But I figured the Core i5-2500K (overclocked to 4+ GHz) will already be a tremendous improvement over my current Core 2 Duo E8400.

I still haven't decided on the graphics card, mainly because I can't quite determine how much Photoshop will use it. Adobe recommends
Quote:
Photoshop CS4 and CS5 leverage the GPU on your computer’s video adapter to speed screen redraw operations. For Photoshop to access the GPU, the video adapter must have a GPU that supports OpenGL. It also requires at least 128 MB of RAM, and a driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0.

So it sounds like the GPU won't be used for any processing, just for screen redrawing. (Is this anything more than getting a faster live preview?) In any case, any modern graphics card will meet these requirements. I'm leaning towards the HD 6770, which I think is comparable in performance to the GTX 550 Ti, but for some reason is much cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:37 am 
Mine is a i5 chip with a nvidia geforce GTS 450 grafics card + 6GB DDR3 memory, on a dual boot system (Win7, XP pro) and it can opperate CS5 with no trouble at all Get it :D