Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:39 pm 
It all started when I built my first PC for the release of Vista and bought a Netgear WN311T to go with. Vista drivers were not released for a long time and even then I couldn't use x64 since they never released them.

Much frustration later, Win 7 arrives and the same happens all over again. They don't release x86 drivers for a long tme/at all and x64 drivers are apparently to challenging for them to make. They just won't support their products.

SO, I'm fed up with them (though I do like their routers) and I want to replace my card with one that will work with x64 Win7.

Does anyone have one that they can recommend, or even a company? I've been loyal to Netgear but no more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 4:18 pm 

I've been using a 3Com product similar to the 3ComĀ® Wireless 11a/b/g PCI Adapter to provide 802.11a connectivity for years without any issues:
Don't be put off by the website showing compatibility with XP/2000. If you check the Windows 7 compatibility list from Microsoft you'll see from [url=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=3Com%20802.11a%2fb%2fg%20PCI%20Wireless%20Network%20Adapter&v=3Com&uid=3CRDAG675B&pf=0&pi=1&s=3Com%u00ae%20Wireless%2011a%2fb%2fg%20PCI%20Adapter&os=32-bit]this page[/url] that the "product installs automatically without extra software". 8)

Although I only use it for 802.11a it also works just fine for 802.11b (I've never tested 802.11g). My 3Com hardware currently runs to two gigabit switches, an 11a/b/g Access Point, the aforementioned PCI card and an 802.11b USB adapter and they all play very nicely together and have been ultra-reliable (but I did have one failed "power brick" on an previous 100Mbps switch).

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:50 am 
Anything with a RaLink chipset would be a good investment, as you can use generic drivers from RaLink and there's a very wide range of OS support, including x64 Windows. http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:24 am 

I think Netgear is pretty decent, havent had any problems with their products.

But I use Apple Airport Extreme now, pretty good, disconnects sometimes thats the annoying part of it.. I'd recommend something from Zyxel or Cisco thought.

Oh and stay away from Dlink.... those r nasty