Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm 
For those that are interested http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html
The 13.3-inch models didn't get much of an upgrade, but the 15 and 17-inch models all got Core i5 or Core i7 CPU upgrades.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:36 am 
No Core i5 processors for the 13"
Sub-par GPU in the 15 and 17"
No USB 3.0
No higher res screen as standard
No Blu-Ray

Woohoo!

The price gap is getting harder and harder to defend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:03 pm 
When you factor in OS X, it's well worth it, in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:15 pm 
They have a battery life of 10 hours. Is there any laptop from another manufacturer that provides the level of performance and portability of the Macbook Pro's?

This is a serious question. I find the price of the Macbook Pro's hard to swallow, but at the same time I do not see any other PC laptops that compete in terms of performance and portability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:40 am 
I'd rather have core 2 duo with a decent integrated card than an i3 or i5 with an intel HD. And no, for that price getting a discrete card with and i3 or i5 is not feasible.
Agreed, but Apple never gets the latest GPU. Not surprising.
No USB 3.0
There won't be until Intel supports it natively. You still have firewire 800. It's not the same but it's more than decent. Besides, the amount of stuff running on usb 3.0 is even smaller than firewire 800 (for now).
I prefer to have the option, really. MY eyesight allows me to use a higher resolution display, but that's not the same for everybody.
No Blu-Ray
By the time Blu-Ray becomes a standard it will be obsolete. Hell, in a way it is already obsolete, with streaming HD content and blu-ray rips everywhere.

What REALLY pisses me off is that they have increased their price in Europe.
The computer I'd want would cost me 700€ more in Europe than in the US... that's a ******* joke, especially considering the Apple Store gives you the same "illegal" 1 year warranty in Spain as in the US.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:37 am 
Hi Phillip,

I agree with you in that there are no other laptops that offer that level of portability and battery life. My complaint is that these benefits do not justify the huge price premium that is now more obvious than ever. You can get these components in laptops that cost half as much. Is the design, build quality and battery life worth double in parts and research? I don't think so.

The impressive profit margins Apple is very proud of only prove that the extra we pay is not going towards better components or R&D, it's going into their pocket. I have gotten quite attached to OSX in the two years that I've had my MacBook Pro so I think I'm just gonna have to grin and bear it.

Revivas,

Yes it is feasible to get a discrete GPU in tandem with an i5/7. HP, Dell, Toshiba and Asus can do it, so can Apple.

Yes, not surprising but disappointing all the same.

No USB 3.0
Yes, FW800 is decent and I'm a happy user right now. But when you pay so much you expect to have something to show for it. USB3.0 might not have many supported devices now but it will in future. Where would be now if nobody decided to adopt USB2.0 at the beginning? The tech world is not going to stand still for Apple. I am guessing that Apple is holding out for Lightpeak, at least we have to something to look forward to as it seems promising.

I would prefer to have the option as well but if you're going to put a screen that is below average (resolution and price), charge less for it.

No Blu-Ray
It's not obsolete yet and I don't think anyone can reliably predict it's obsolescence now. As long as I can buy Blu-Rays, I would want to be able to play them on my computer. Other laptops provide this functionality, why can't the laptop that costs twice as much. It all goes back to price, if I am going to be getting a laptop with reduced functionality, I don't want to pay more for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:51 pm 
As you say, since there are no other laptops out there which combine the power and portability of the 15"/17" Macbook Pro, they've got no competition and can charge whatever they like. It's just business.

I've little interest in buying a Mac as I would rather keep the Windows software I've acquired since taking up photography. Still waiting on other manufacturers to produce something that rivals the Macbook Pros.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:39 pm 
Maybe Apple could have left out the optical drive (such as their competitiors did with the HP Envy and the Asus UL30).

I'm thinking even longer battery life, perhaps room for a discrete GPU.

Do we really need an optical drive on a laptop these days?

The MacBook Air is more close to my ideal laptop, but lacking in terms of processor - both in CPU and GPU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 am 
Yes it is feasible to get a discrete GPU in tandem with an i5/7. HP, Dell, Toshiba and Asus can do it, so can Apple.

Do Dell, Toshibas and Asus have aliminium unibodies, 8 hour lasting battery, glass trackpads, discrete cards AND Mac OS X inside? No. Then we are comparing apples to oranges (pardon the pun).
Yes, Apple is more expensive and generally offers less hardware, but it has always been like that... yet their market share has been growing steadily...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am 
Revivas, that would be equivalent to saying Nikon is allowed to charged as much as they want because they offer a different feature set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 am 
To be fair its probably more accurate to say its like Leica have always charged more for a different feature set :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:42 pm 
What I am saying is that they give you other features, and they charge a premium for them. Nobody is saying Apple is cheap, but comparing just hardware is crazy, as Apple is giving you many other features that the others are not giving you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:41 am 
That is true but as long as the merits of having a Mac at all are debatable, the premium is as well. The other hardware manufacturers give many features that Apple does not give and yet they don't charge more. This is turning into the typical Mac vs PC debate so I'm just gonna leave it here and hope that I don't regret going the Mac route when I next upgrade my MBP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 pm 
Indeed, I hope that too. I'm moving to a bigger MBP once my apple care expires (still a long way).