Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:14 am 

Yeah that cortex processor sound GREAT for quickly rendering images on screen, RAW conversion and light edits. I don't foreseen ANY problems...AT ALL. I mean, the screen is of course properly calibrated, very high res and all!

*end sarcasm*

This is a huge disappointment. Rumors keep on going about how epic it will be and all they came up with is a fat iphone. Ereader? Get an E-ink device. Photography computer for on the road: get a decent laptop for less.
Internet access for when you're on the toilet? I don't have that kind of money, and my smartphone does that already.

Which brings me to:

My smartphone does all of that already. Ipad has 1024-by-768, I have 800x400. 32 GB's of storage, wifi, 3G, and pretty much every app written for Armel Linux. And it's cheaper than the ipad. And you can call with it. And it fits in your pocket. And you don't look like a fanboy with it :lol:

No, Marijn is NOT impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:45 pm 

As all the proper reasons NOT to buy the "iSLAB" (cool name :P ) have been mentioned, all I can say is that I wouldn't buy this.

I would either get an iPod Touch or a laptop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 am 

I'm getting one. Of all the people I've talked to or communicated with online, there's only two others who want one by the way. Niche market? We'll see how many Aplle sells.

I have both a great laptop and an iPhone, and both have their uses. For the kinda stuff I do most on both of them: browsing the Internet, I see a great advantage in the iPad. Bigger screen than my phone, much better portability than my laptop (I have an 18.4" Vaio, pretty much works as a desktop only...).

I don't understand why people compare it to laptops and smartphones. It's clearly positioned between the two and has it's uses. Whether you want to pay the price for the things it does... well, yeah, it's not cheap if you want to have plenty of storage.

I'm thinking of getting the 64GB wifi only model, just have to look into the 3G a bit more. Still have plenty of time...

Oh, save yourself the trouble of trying to convince me not to buy an iPad. I happen to like it for my uses and therefore, I'll get one. Not because I'm an Apple fanatic, not because I've got too much money, not because I'm a gadget-freak. I just love how it complements my phone and laptop.

- Bjorn -

Leica M9-P (my article on Camera Labs) | Leica D-Lux 5 | 50mm Summilux

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:13 am 

As I said in another post,it's very useless. I saw a laptop with a detachable screen (yes,touch screen) so I can't really see the point of the iPad.
http://rentourlaptops.blogspot.com/2009 ... hable.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:47 am 

@Bjorn - I completely get why some people would want one. I just think the issue is that it is in a very odd place in the market. Its above a smartphone based solely on its size (let alone any functionality it may or may not provide beyond that of a smartphone), and below a laptop or netbook (based on functionality).

As someone who owns (and LOVES) an iPhone, I can honestly say that I don't see it doing anything significant my phone doesn't. I can also get myself a 10.1" laptop (basically the same size, slightly heavier and slightly thicker) as the iPad that is portable enough that the iPad holds no significant advantage in portability or form factor.

But, my BIGGEST issues with the iPad are the fact that its locked into the app store for all its programs/apps, and that connectivity with it will be very limited (at least for now - will I be able to connect my camera to it eventually? Its possible).

For anybody (especially you Bjorn) thinking of getting one, I'd encourage you to wait a couple months after it actually releases. As an early iPhone adopter I can give you the benefit of my experience in this area. I bought myself and my wife iPhones (myself an 8gb and wife a 4gb), and the 4gb was discontinued very quickly and the price of the 8gb was dropped very quickly. Not to mention some big OS quirks that got worked out in the 1.1 update. As much as I love my iPhone (I now own a 3G because the screen cracked on my original), I honestly wish I'd have waited to get it. Apple's track record of late hasn't been wonderful for early adopters. I wouldn't wait for iPad2 or anything, but at least wait until they've worked out some launch bugs first.

http://www.jessegamble.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:04 am 

Quick update - if anybody outside the US cares about the iBooks feature of the iPad, looks like you're out of luck (at least for now.) iBooks appears to be a US only feature for the present. No word on if international iPad's will ever get iBooks, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:25 am 

OK, last one I post in a row (Bad Stig! BAD STIG!) But I felt this warranted its own post in the thread. Stephen Fry is a man I respect IMMENSELY, and he has a few words (ok, over 2300 of them in fact) about the iPad. I'm still skeptical. I still have problems with it. But I think I overlooked something - the magic of using a product that feels decades ahead. Whether or not the iPad does everything it should, I have no doubt that it will be a huge game changer in the portable market. Give his thoughts a read, even if you're a skeptic like me :)

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:57 am 

Having gone over his writeup quickly, I still fail to see why I would want one now or what I'd use it for if I did have one. The impression I took away was "the next version will be better".

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:44 am 

popo wrote:
Having gone over his writeup quickly, I still fail to see why I would want one now or what I'd use it for if I did have one. The impression I took away was "the next version will be better".

I think his point is that a lot of people are dismissing it out of hand based on tech specs, and what is ultimately most important for the iPad, based on what happened with the iPhone, is how polished and good it feels to use. I agree that v2 and v3 will probably be much better, and I don't really see myself using the current iPad, but that doesn't mean it can't be an important device. (Also it doesn't mean they won't sell 200 billion of the things in a week >.<)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:44 am 

This has got to be the most useless product I have seen Apple put out ever. A giant iphone that is the size and cost of a netbook with less functionality... no thanks! Unfortunately, this will sell on hype and brand alone.

This sounds like a product for people who never wanted a tablet or netbook and still don't really want one.

Apple managed to get an SD card adaptor (why not a normal slot) on this thing, coupled with the IPS display, this might make a nice but expensive photo viewer for those on the go. I'd like to see an SD card reader like that for the iphone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:11 am 

IF you get one, get the 3G one. Wifi coverage in the netherlands is poor, but 3G is pretty good. Vodafone and T-mobile both have good 3G and quite fast, for 10 bucks a month. I'd advise T-mobile because of the higher bandwidth cap and because they do not block services like voip and torrents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:58 am 

The people who put the Ipad down or go on about how crap it is are obviously not the ones who it was not marketed at. I do i see lots of potential in this once the developers get their hand on the SDK (look what happen with the iphone SDK) lots of controlling software, great apps etc.

I also see it as a great place to store your images, much better than a small dedicated image holder/viewer, perfect for portfolio presentation!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:21 pm 

Orsan Kart wrote:
also see it as a great place to store your images, much better than a small dedicated image holder/viewer, perfect for portfolio presentation!!

very true...still,it would be 2 birds with one stone if somebody considers the Always Innovating laptop. You get a laptop & a detachable touch screen for presentations. (much greater "wow factor" as well)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm 

I just got out of a meeting at work. We're in, let's say, a gadget accessory market. Looking into future opportunities, the iPad was mentioned. The joke there was that there isn't money in the budget to give everyone an iPad... yet!

I think free is about the right price I'd pay for one.

Tinies: Sony HX9V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm 

Razvan wrote:
(much greater "wow factor" as well)
I think the Ipad would have this more that a grey black laptop in my honest opinion..