Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:15 am 
Phil do you have shares in ASUS - only joking :)

Nice post on this little chap :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:27 am 

No shares here, just a very pleased owner reporting his experiences. Gordon, I enjoyed your column in PCW on the EEE and can definitely relate to the sentiments you mentioned. I'm looking forward to next month's Hands On article to find out what you've been up to with the EEE you had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:18 pm 
Yeah, I read Gordon's article too.

Glad it's working out for you buddy. Keep us updated with any new developments Phil.

A comprehensive thread on ASUS's EEE - nice job. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:37 am 
Site Admin

Ahem, actually I've done next month's Inside Information about it as well, along with the next two Hands On columns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:42 am 

A rich source of material for you then Gordon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, you'll recognise some of the material we've been discussing here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi everyone, just a quick note to let you know we've published a short review of the Asus Eee PC 4G with digital photographers in mind. You can find it here, but there's no video tour!

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Asus_ ... hers.shtml

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:03 pm 
I already use Linux for my desktop and laptop so I have found tools to use.

Here are the ( Free ! ) ones I would recommend you check out :

(1) Gimp
- everyone knows Gimp in Linux land. Like an 8-bit version of Photoshop. It can read RAW files through UFRaw or dcraw.

(2) RawTherapee
- a great RAW converter kept up to date by it's author and ideal for making the initial conversion of RAW files to e.g. 16-bit TIFFs or JPEG. It can also work directly on JPEGs and 16-bit TIFFs.

(3) CinePaint
- like Gimp ( based on an earlier version in fact ) but capable of 16-bit edits, so suitable for RAW files ( which it can handle ) and 16-bit TIFFs.

(4) ShowFoto
- part of a thing called DigiKam. A good tool for manipulating the whole image, but not an image editor like Gimp. No layers, no selections. Still very useful and can handle 16-bit images and RAWs

(5) Wine
- Wine is a designed to allow properly performing MS Windows applications to run directly under Linux as part of the normal desktop. Not everything works ( and alas many of these are graphics kits ), but NeatImage does along with s7raw ( if you're a Fuji RAW file user ) and others. Check it out at http://www.winehq.org where there is an application database to check compatibility.

(6) Krita
- new and a little uneven, but undoubtedly a very promising editor for 16-it images. Not quite ready yet for the big time.

(7) LightZone
- COMMERCIAL software with a dedicated Linux version. My preferred RAW converter and I can do almost all my photo work from it. Full 16-bit support and the latest version has a complete 41-day trial available for download.

(8) Bibble Pro
- COMMERCIAL software which you have to pay for but which I gather has a version for Linux

(9) Noise Ninja
- COMMERCIAL software again with a version for Linux

(10) dcraw
- dcraw is a command line tool which is used behind teh scenes by most of teh RAW converters in Linux and many in MS Windows and Mc land. For the brave you can access it directly from teh command line and use it that way. I'm a programmer and I did this a few times, but the other tools will do it all for you so why bother. But do say thank you to Dave Coffin for his ongoing work on dcraw. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:39 pm 
great review Gordon!!!

Very informative and definitely a piece of kit worth considering :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:55 am 
Site Admin

Hi sjgcit, welcome to the Cameralabs forums!

That's a handy list of apps and utilities there - thanks!

Are you an Eee owner yourself? Or likely to be in the future?

Gordon

PS - Cheers Markh, you're welcome!

Post subject: PB Easy Note XS
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:28 pm 
Hello Gordon,

Par hazard I came across an article on ZDNet.be about the Packard Bell Easy Note XS. In Belgium you can buy it for €599, taxes included. In my opinion it's a good deal, if you see the specs (1G RAM, 30 G SSD, 4 in 1 cardslots, 7 inch screen, bluetooth, webcam, wifi, Windows XP Home Edition). It's also a lightweight computer (950g) and so this could also be a very good deal for you if you need that extra memory. Very quick browse found me a Eee pc (1G RAM, 8G SSD) for $500. So for only €150 extra, you've got a whole different thing...

My main question though, is if you have any idea about the "roughness" of this computer. Can you use it while you're backpacking, school,...

Tristan

PS Great site, thanks to your tips I bought me a Canon 400D and have some great pictures of Thailand.
Next year: China! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:04 am 
8gb 10" Eee to be released. Read here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:28 pm 
How does the Asus Eee PC compare to the MacBook? In terms of portability, with the MacBook, don't you get about the same size, but with a much larger 13" display?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:41 am 
luis wrote:
How does the Asus Eee PC compare to the MacBook? In terms of portability, with the MacBook, don't you get about the same size, but with a much larger 13" display?

I've never use a macbook. But, Im pretty sure it has a very nice screen, bigger hard drive and a faster processor....not sure about the battery life though. I love my eee pc bec its size (plus geek factor bec i love modding my stuff) , its cheaper , very portable, meaning i can take it pretty much anywhere with my camera, and it doesnt fail catching everybodys attention whenever i power it up :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:58 pm 

Hi folks,

It's reported that Asus have revealed the Eee PC 900 at CeBit 2008. Specs are scarce, as is any sign of the machine on the Asus web-site as I write, but it seems that as well as the 8.9" screen Asus are now providing 1GB of RAM and up to 12GB of permanent storage (up from the previous maximum of 8GB).
According to PC Pro "the 9in Eee PC will cost around 400 Euros (£300), and be rolled out in the summer."

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next