Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for that Phil - so are you saying XPlite saved you about 300MB or about one third of the default installation?

PS - G - Asus recommends disabling System Restore on the Eee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:07 am 

G, I already have System Restore disabled. I did have it active for the first run of XPLite, just in case, but it is switched off now.

Gordon, that certainly does seem to be my experience with XPLite on a full install of XP Home together with a full install of all the critical updates. I haven't installed anything optional, such as .Net, except IE7. The big hard disk eaters were Dllcache and the built in Driver Cache. I'm leaving things alone now for the moment to see how the system runs over time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:25 pm 

I made this mistake of installing Outlook 2007 on my EEE today. It ate over 500Mb of disk space despite me stripping out loads of options and without SP1. After removing it I'd lost around 200Mb of disk space so I'm going to go back to Sunday's backup tonight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

It is pretty hefty Phil... I installed Outlook, Word and Excel 2007 with a 1GB footprint, even with everything stripped out! But there was still plenty of room on the Eee and they ran fine, so I think it could be workable... Especially if the PST files were on SD cards!

Do you have dreamweaver? I really wanted to see how well (or badly) it ran on the Eee, but mine's gone back now. If you have a copy and are rolling back to a backup installation in thr next day or so, would you mind seeing how it looks for me?

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:40 pm 

Sorry Gordon, I don't have Dreamweaver so I can't test it for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:55 pm 

Hey, hold on guys. Installing Outlook, Word, Excel 2007 and now Dreamweaver on an Eee PC. :shock: Is Eee the noise of pain it makes under the strain!

On a more serious note, I guess the Eee wins in terms of portability but here in the UK I can pick up a refurbished IBM ThinkPad X31, albeit with a few small screen blemishes, here amongst several other places, for about the same price as the upcoming 8GB Eee PC. I am currently on my second refurbished ThinkPad (current one is about 9 years old) and both have given reliable service.

So, without wishing to be too provocative, does the Eee PC really represent very good value given its underpowered CPU, lack of RAM, lack of disk space and a minuscule screen compared to an X31 with Intel Pentium M 1400MHz processor 1024MB SDRAM memory, 40GB hard drive, 12.1" TFT screen (1024x768 resolution) and Windows XP as well as all the other usual bells, whistles and upgradeability of a notebook PC?

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Hi Bob, it can't compare in horsepower, but it can in terms of size and weight. There's nothing affordable to beat it in this respect. If you're happy carrying a bigger laptop, then I'd say forget the Eee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:28 am 

Actually I agree that the Eee PC does represent extremely good value for it's size and weight and it is a very valid exercise to see how much you can squeeze onto one. It's probably not for me, though.

As an aside, I have only just realised that the MacBook Pro has a backlit keyboard and that Apple sell refurbished units. Perfect for those night-time remote Live View sessions with the Canon 40D but, unfortunately, my ThinkPad 600E keeps on plodding along. Perhaps if I dropped it... :twisted:

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:14 am 

Cool discussion guys! I've been following this product closely and the info here really goes beyond what many reviews can cover. It's given me a real impression of what the Eee PC is capable of!

But whether it's right for you largely depends on how you'll be using it. I do quite a bit of copy editing for online publication (while out and about) and to me it seems like a great value, highly mobile tool for that job. Plus of course there's surfing and emailing at your fingertips too. I'd also use it as a handy conduit for offloading images to an external HDD, and it makes for the perfect excuse to finally get into Linux... :)

But as an image-editing machine, I'll leave that to something with a bigger screen and more power.

I am hoping Asus performs a U-turn on its decision not to release a 10in version with a higher screen-res. If they do, they have a buyer here.

I love its simplicity...

On another aspect, what sort of real-world battery-life are people getting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi Jalal, long time no post! Good to hear from you anyway...

Yep, there's a few EeePC fans here - well Phil and I anyway...

Battery life? Well I got just over 3 hours of Divx playback under Linux with the Wifi switched off.

I've been thinking about the possibility of a future model with a bigger screen and how nicely it would fit the lid - having 1024 pixels width or more would certainly make it much more practical - especially since we relaunched for XGA screens!

BUT you wonder how much it would add to the cost - same for a model with a bigger flash drive. Each would add more to the price and before you know it, you'd be at the price of normal laptops, and it would be much less compelling.

It's a tricky one. I'm certainly a huge fan of the form factor, so for me personally I wouldn't mind paying, say, an extra 100 GBP for a bigger, high res screen, and perhaps a slightly bigger flash drive...

On a side-note, it's also worth mentioning the total weight of the system - the Eee comes with a very small and light power supply, more like a mobile phone charger than a traditional laptop brick, which makes it even more portable. Well my Taiwanese test model did anyway... Phil, is your power supply small - and waht sort of battery life are you now getting under Windows XP?

Gordon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:55 am 

Gordon, the power supply I got is about the same size as a mobile phone one. It has a UK adapter which can be taken off to reveal a US two prong plug that can be folded out. You can see the charger on the right of this photo:

I haven't really tested battery life properly since I'm still fiddling. I'd say that I would be getting around 3 hours of surfing with it.

Bob, the only reason I've been installing larger apps on my EEE is because it runs the smaller ones so well. It is a lot faster than the hardware specs suggest. I don't think I'd use it for image editing though. For surfing, word processing, image transfer etc it is an excellent tool to carry round, plus it is a great gadget :) Personally, I think the EEE represents excellent value for money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:07 am 

I thought you might like to know that I've bought a little bluetooth dongle for my EEE.

The dongle comes with a mini CD containing the device drivers. I was pleased to see that it uses the Toshiba Bluetooth Stack for Windows rather than the default Microsoft one. It is important to install the driver software first, before inserting the dongle. The installation process prompts you to insert the dongle and sets it up correctly from there. It comes with version 5.10.08 of the stack. Version 5.10.12 is available to download from the Toshiba website and I may try installing that later.

I was able to connect my old Jabra BT500 headset and use it in Skype. The supplied software includes an app to interface with Skype to allow you to use the call answer button on the headset. I was also able to set up a Bluetooth PAN to my Vario III, a Windows Mobile 6 Pocket PC. I had to use the Custom Mode to create the connection since the default is to create a dialup connection rather than a network connection. Once I'd set it up I was able to access the net via the Vario III's 3G connection using Bluetooth.

Here are some photos I took showing the EEE PC, dongle and my Vario III.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:08 pm 

Hi folks,

Even more fun to be had with your Eee PC according to this article on the Bit Tech site.

From that article "Dedicated Eee PC owners have produced a customised version of Xubuntu 7.10 'Gutsy Gibbon', the lightweight desktop Linux release based on Ubuntu (which, in turn, is built on Debian). Featuring full support for the Eee PC hardware with no post-installation configuration to worry about, the new release also handles the fairly low resolution screen better than a standard Linux distribution would.".

The eeeXubuntu home page is here. 8)

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:28 pm 

I think I may install that on a USB stick to see what happens. I've got my new Bluetooth headset, a Jawbone, working with both my phone and and my EEE. The control panel can be set up so that when I connect it to the EEE, the headset becomes the default Windows sound device and Skype starts up automatically which is neat. When I disconnect it and enable Bluetooth on my phone, it switches over to being a headset on my phone. This is the first time I've had a Bluetooth headset that works properly in Windows and can be paired with more than one device at a time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Like the Bluetooth adapter Phil!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next