Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 pm 

http://i907.photobucket.com/albums/ac27 ... enshot.jpg

All cores running at 100% 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:20 pm 

Using all cores is sooooo 2008 :lol:

Seriously though, I stress all 4 cores at 100%, and also my GPU. Try Espresso if you haven't yet, it utilizes Ati's and Nvidia's stream computing kits to further speed up encoding ;)

(I'm not sure it does mkv yet though, sadly)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:04 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Using all cores is sooooo 2008 :lol:

Seriously though, I stress all 4 cores at 100%, and also my GPU. Try Espresso if you haven't yet, it utilizes Ati's and Nvidia's stream computing kits to further speed up encoding ;)

(I'm not sure it does mkv yet though, sadly)

Does espresso convert blu ray movies? That's the whole point. It's not just that it's four cores, it's that it's i7. That's better than a q9550 or whatever other quad core is around, at the moment at least. And even if it's not, it's way better than what I was running before. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:17 pm 

Yeah, I know about the i7, great architecture. Als nice of them to bring back hyperthreading.

I just checked, and espresso does not convert blu-ray...sadly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:29 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
Yeah, I know about the i7, great architecture. Als nice of them to bring back hyperthreading.

I just checked, and espresso does not convert blu-ray...sadly.

Ok then you can talk to the hand :P :lol: lol. I use Auto GK for all my regular movies. Works a treat. Oh and before anyone gets it wrong, I am doing this to transfer the movies to my WD TV media player. I've got a blu ray rom on my PC, and now I can just put my Blu ray DVD's on my media player :) My NEC 20" Monitor is also NOT HDCP compatible. So I need to run AnyDvd in the background to be able to play Blu ray dvd's on my PC. No big deal really, but I'd much rather play them back on the TV, using my WD TV 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:51 pm 

The only way I talk to your hand will be ahigh five of course ;)
Also...auto Gordian knot? Violating the DMCA ehh? 8)

I don't care, I don't really have a clean record on movies....

but anyhow, back to the topic. Your pc is awesome, high five :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:20 pm 
Citruspers wrote:
The only way I talk to your hand will be ahigh five of course ;)
Also...auto Gordian knot? Violating the DMCA ehh? 8)

I don't care, I don't really have a clean record on movies....

but anyhow, back to the topic. Your pc is awesome, high five :lol:

Hey, I'm doing legit stuff here. I own all the movies I convert. I just happen to have a WD TV media player connected to the TV, as well as a portable media player (Cowon Iaudio A2). :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Greg, I personally believe what you're doing is reasonable, but technically speaking it is not legal. In order to rip a DVD or Blu Ray, you need to circumvent its encryption, and that violates the license agreement. Not to mention violating the copyright.

Now I strongly believe there should be a fair-use policy concerning this for people who want to rip their discs for personal use, be it for a portable device, a media server, or simply to protect their media or clear the shelves.

But the sad fact is, when you buy many things these days, you don't actually own them. Once you open the box, you're agreeing to their terms and conditions, which means no hacking, modding, copying etc. What you're paying for is a right to play the device or media under their terms.

I used to write many articles about this for PCW magazine in the UK.

Now the legalities vary on the country. In the UK, it's not a criminal offence when done personally in small numbers - so the police won't be knocking on your door. Instead it's a civil offence, which means the copyright owner (ie the movie or record company) is in their rights to sue you. Should you start doing it in high volume though - such as copying to sell at a market - then it becomes a criminal offence and you can expect a run-in with the law.

It is ridiculous though considering the number of portable devices designed to play ripped content, especially when you think about a company like Sony which produces both films and music along with the devices to play them.

The 'solution' from the media owners is to include a digital copy for portable devices, but of course enthusiasts like us want to do it under our own terms. For example I don't want an MP3 - I want a lossless FLAC etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:38 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Hi Greg, I personally believe what you're doing is reasonable, but technically speaking it is not legal. In order to rip a DVD or Blu Ray, you need to circumvent its encryption, and that violates the license agreement. Not to mention violating the copyright.

Now I strongly believe there should be a fair-use policy concerning this for people who want to rip their discs for personal use, be it for a portable device, a media server, or simply to protect their media or clear the shelves.

But the sad fact is, when you buy many things these days, you don't actually own them. Once you open the box, you're agreeing to their terms and conditions, which means no hacking, modding, copying etc. What you're paying for is a right to play the device or media under their terms.

I used to write many articles about this for PCW magazine in the UK.

Now the legalities vary on the country. In the UK, it's not a criminal offence when done personally in small numbers - so the police won't be knocking on your door. Instead it's a civil offence, which means the copyright owner (ie the movie or record company) is in their rights to sue you. Should you start doing it in high volume though - such as copying to sell at a market - then it becomes a criminal offence and you can expect a run-in with the law.

It is ridiculous though considering the number of portable devices designed to play ripped content, especially when you think about a company like Sony which produces both films and music along with the devices to play them.

The 'solution' from the media owners is to include a digital copy for portable devices, but of course enthusiasts like us want to do it under our own terms. For example I don't want an MP3 - I want a lossless FLAC etc.

Regardless of what the laws are in the UK 'nanny state', the most common belief is that if you've bought a copy of a dvd, then it's yours to transfer to whatever media you see fit in order to view it.

It's funny how the how legal thing cropped up with cassettes back in the day, and people just forgot about it till the mp3 player showed up.

Sony is one company learnt the hard way with their minidisc format, followed by the Atrac format as a whole.

When they first brought out Hi-MD, and allowed users to transfer their mp3's to HI-MD (1gb minidiscs), they had actually capped the quality of mp3's to make their atrac format seem that much better.

I won't even get into UMD movies that were made for the PSP, and which when first released, cost the same ammount of money as the regular dvd. I mean did they really think people would actually buy UMD instead of just buying a regular dvd, and convert that to use on their psp?

Sony has made one mistake after the other. Only now are they learning from their mistakes.

There are people out there who buy a PC game, and then get a crack for the game just so that they don't have to use the CD. With all the DRM, secu-rom, root-kit, and what not that get's installed on our pc's, to protect us from the PC game or other item we think we've bought, it's easy to understand how those that actually do buy their games feel put off and guilty when they are innocent.

Eventually it will all change. Either the whole industry will crash and burn, or they will hopefully find a way that actually appeals to us as consumers.

Amazon, and Apple have come a long way by offering legitimate ways of downloading music, and hopefully they will do the same for movies.

Games are already heading in that direction with Steam, offering a huge amount of games, for people who don't want to buy a hard copy. Steam is always offering some sort of special offer or another. Their half life series is always at a good price.

Movies is the last thing to follow suit. Obviously it's not easy, or reasonable to download a blu ray movie from the likes of net flix, but with speeds of broadband on the rise, this will change and the prices of movies will drop accordingly.

The downside of this is obviously that there will be no need for brick and mortar stores anymore (Jessops, woolworths etc). As it is, I don't think many people buy cd's anymore, in favour of just using a download service like itunes, or going the illegal route of just downloading straight off the net. Bah.

Last edited by Gregory.Rotter on Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm 

Ehh, Greg....I think Gordon's actually on your side here :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:48 pm 
I realised after which is why I edited my post :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I'm on your side Greg, but anyone claiming 'fair use' or a 'belief' won't stand up in court if a copyright owner decides to sue. I agree it's ridiculous, but that's the law, so I have to make sure the facts are known.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:08 pm 
Gordon Laing wrote:
Yep, I'm on your side Greg, but anyone claiming 'fair use' or a 'belief' won't stand up in court if a copyright owner decides to sue. I agree it's ridiculous, but that's the law, so I have to make sure the facts are known.

Fair enough Gordon. I can understand where you are coming from, making sure that other readers know the technicalities and so on.

This reminds me a bit about all those photography threads were people are worried about being stopped by the police, purely because they've got a big scary camera :lol: Then again, that too, only happens in the UK. Even I've been stopped and searched :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:24 pm 

I welcome you all to the Netherlands, where the downloading of music and movies for personal use is entirely legal, even if you do not own a copy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:59 am 
Gregory.Rotter wrote:
This reminds me a bit about all those photography threads were people are worried about being stopped by the police, purely because they've got a big scary camera :lol: Then again, that too, only happens in the UK. Even I've been stopped and searched :roll:

Heh..I wish it was only in the UK - not that Britain is more deserving of it than anyone oense, but at least it would be localized to an island we could quarantine..lol!! - but it happens here in Canada as well.

I was taking shots inside a public train station...not where the trains are, but the building where people enter. By law it's a public place and by law you can take pictures in public places - just not use them for commercial use without consent from recognizable people.

Nevertheless a security guy came over and told me that management didn't want - and I quote: "anyone to take pictures inside with 'expensive' cameras"...he literally said that. I knew a discussion would lead nowhere with this guy so I said that I of course would respect that and moved on quietly. In the background I could see people take pictures with their "cheaper" cameras...cellphones and compacts.

Would it have helped to tell him that my D40 with the lens is cheaper than the iPhone or the G10 I saw in the crowd? Would it have helped to inform him of the law? Nope.

You can get away with it. With the Leica M9 I'm sure nobody would have balked..it looks "cheap" to the untrained eye.. But I'm fuming over the fact that you either have to buy a an actually cheap compact or a $15.000 dollar Leica combo to take a friggin' picture in a public train station even with the law in your side. Since the trains themselves are 2 floors and 2 buildings away, nobody could claim that I was a terrorist trying to map out the infrastructure or some nonsense like that..lol.

I disagree with Edmund Burke when about evil triumphing when "good men" do nothing..that's not what will herald the apocalypse. It's when the level of utter stupidity and ignorance reach a certain critical mass. ...