Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Quad core vs core duo
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:00 pm 
I was on Dells website earlier looking at some laptops and I was just seeing how much a laptop customized for what I need would cost but I don't know what processor to pick.
The best dual core processor in the list was the Intel® Core™2 Duo T9800 2.93GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
and the cheapest quad core is the Intel® Core™2 Quad Q9000 2.0GHz (6MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB).
Which one would be better? The dual core is 2.92 GHz while the quad core is only 2.0. Since the quad core has twice as many processors, would that make it better even though its only 2.0 compared to 2.93?
I'm trying to find a laptop that is very good at everything, from games to photoshop and video editing and everyday web browsing and stuff.
I thought I'd ask you guys before finding some other computer forum.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:25 pm 

The very short version is the quad 2 GHz could be faster for software that understands and can make use of 4 cores, or if you regularly run lots of software at the same time that uses a lot of CPU.

For everything else, the dual 2.9 GHz will be faster.

Thankfully photo processing is well suited to multi-core processing. Games - you'd need to check the individual game but you might be gfx limited anyway.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:35 pm 
Okay thanks. The quad core was cheaper than the 2.93GHz dual core so I might get the Quad core.
If a program doesn't know how to use the quad core would it just use two then?
I was looking at the Alienware M17X which is a gaming computer, but It should be good for everything.
Time to do some reading.
Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:57 pm 

Software may be programmed to be able to use any number of cores. If they can only use one or two, the two faster ones of the dual will run that faster. On the quad, it'll run slower with the other two cores possibly sitting around doing nothing.

Compacts: Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:13 pm 
Which one would you pick?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Look, if you don't use any programs that use multi threading (4 cores), then just get the dual core. I convert my dvd's to divx using a program that uses 4 cores and am on a quad core processor. What programs do you plan to use with the new pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:32 pm 

Whilst you may not have software to make full use of a quad core, it would make perfect sense to try and future proof any purchase.

http://www.alanwilliamsphotography.co.uk
BLOG: http://www.ayrshireweddingphotographer.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:03 pm 
First of all, Don't buy anything now.

Come early January, Intel will launch an entirely new range of notebook processors and the current models will most likely be sold at a lot lower prices then. The quad core models are already out, although it seems like they're only available in a selected few notebooks at the moment, but more models should launch at CES.

You might want to consider the new models as they have a feature called Turbo. The CPU's will run at a slower speed when all cores are being used (2 or 4 depending on the CPU), but if you run an application that can't take advantage of all the cores, then the extra cores will be switched off and the CPU will be automatically overclocked (within safe limits and under warranty), giving you a huge performance boost. If the cooling in the notebook is good then you can even get a boost with all cores in use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:36 pm 
Right now I don't have enough money for a new computer so I won't be getting it anytime soon, I was only looking around.
Alan: Thats what I was thinking, I might not use the quad core to its fullest, but in the future who knows. The dual core is an extra $500 while the quad is only $250(CAD)
I'm almost out of school and I am probably going to be going to college or university so I'd be most likely using it for school as well as games, photoshop etc.
As for cooling, I heard this laptop is very efficient in heat dissipation.