Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:44 pm 

I really enjoy the new hardware review section on your website, Gordon. It's nice that you're branching off in other areas of interest, because I really enjoy your review style. But there was one thing I wanted to mention. I think the reason why the power supply uses energy even when the PC is powered down is because it keeps current flowing to the motherboard. If you've ever had one of those motherboards that has a "power on" indicator LED, you'll know what I mean. I'm pretty sure this is just for instant start up, because whenever I go from a cold start, right after I plug the PC in, it takes a couple seconds for the power button to work. The boot time from when the power button is pressed to desktop is the same, it's just that when I push the power button it doesn't do anything until the motherboard LED turns on. This could explain why the PSU is consuming power when the PC is shut down. That's a lot of power to waste just to save a couple seconds of our time!

I also just wanted to add my .2 cents about the Corsair 520watt PSU. I've had that exact same PSU for over 2 years now and its done a really great job. It's quiet, has a modular cable design, and hasn't had a single problem in 2 years. I greatly recommend Corsair power supplies. The next PC I build will have another Corsair PSU for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks Shagrath!

I actually bought their budget 400 watt model for another build, and so far it's also working well.