Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:56 pm 
Hi guys!
I'm planning to get a newer motherboard and a newer CPU.

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P
cpu: AMD phenomII 550x2

Now my older pc has DDR2 5400 memory. Now my question is if my old memory will still work in the newer motherboard. Its still DDR2, but in the manual stands: Dual Channel DDR2 1333+ MHz
Delivering native support for DDR2 memory up to 1333MHz, GIGABYTE Ultra Durable 3 motherboards allow users to easily reach higher memory frequencies at lower voltages; achieving higher memory performance with lower power consumption to run even the most memory intensive applications such as high-definition video and 3D games with ease.
* DDR2 1333+ is supported with combination of AM3 processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information.

What do you guys think? I know that normally memory slots are speed-backwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:11 pm 
The short answer: Yes

The slightly longer answer: Well, it won't give you the best possible performance from the new faster CPU. You might want to consider getting at least some DDR2 800MHz memory (what you have is 667MHz memory which is known as PC5400).

Hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:36 pm 
perhaps my memory will overclock till 800mhz :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:53 pm 
Alright alright!!!!

If could finally install the setup! So the cpu is a AMD phenom II 550X2.
And as some may know, this is a cpu that some of them can be unlocked to a X4 for free! Well after changing the settings in the BIOS, I now have a AMD PhenomII X4 BE50 :p

Just to awesome!