Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:04 pm 
Hi,

I was wondering if I got an ipad wifi+3g; and I removed the Sim card, will I still be able to use the GPS without the Sim card.

Note that I'm in middle east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:57 pm 

I've looked at that issue for myself so I could use a Ipad as a improved map while on vacation.
I came to the conclusion trough some googling that the gsp works, but the maps in google maps aren't stored locally.
So without a sim card or wi-fi access google maps doesn't work.
At least as far as I know.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:18 am 

As mentioned iOS devices do not store any map data (for Google Maps) so without an internet connection via wifi or cellular data network you are not going to get any map downloads to show you where you are even if you have a GPS signal so the device can locate itself.

The only thing you might be able to do is generate a trail of GPS breadcrumbs by taking photos at regular intervals to leave a geotagging trail on your device but this will not be functioning as a live GPS system just a way to review where you have been.

Some of the 3rd party iOS GPS apps may store map data on your device but this could take up to 2GB of space (Garmin Western Europe app is 1.75GB) and the app costs $99.99

http://keystrokesukimages.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:03 pm 
GPS has no relationship with the SIM card. It should work fine...however. If you're using google maps, then it needs a internet connection to keep updating the maps. If it's a navigation app like TomTom, then you can work the nav without a sim.

Hpe I've helped