Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A new laptop....
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:49 am 
Hello again

I am in the market for a new laptop PC, and after some research I have found out that choosing a PC is not as easy as I thought.

I have some basic requirements:
- Capable of running video editing software smoothly such as adobe photoshop
- Able to run some not too requiring games such as Call of Duty 5 or equal on average settings
- Good for writing and internet searching as it will serve me during my studies starting this autumn.
- Well built so that I can bring it and use it without concerns.
- 15,6" display, high resolution and good colors are a plus for image editing!

So far I have found two appealing computeres:

- DELL studio 15 (1555). 15,6" with a lot of possible upgrades
- HP pavillion dv6 (1190 or equal). 15,6" and good performance

But after this I'm lost.

Can you give me some feedback on these two computers? Manufacturers and so on?
Are there any other alternatives I should look at?
What should I think about when buying a new laptop?

Many thanks!

//Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 pm 

Bigblocke....

I have recently been looking at new lap tops and although I'm not a real puter head but after trying a few out in store I came across this one and I'm pretty impressed with it.

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/X305

I haven't absolutely decided yet and hopefully others can contribute here cause I would be needing some help deciding too,I'd say....arrrghh!!!!

The reason I was looking was because my laptop was having hardwware"issues" after 5years.
Now I'm on someone elses puter because mine has suffered a meltdown.
T H A N K F U L L Y I had some warning signs and what pics I had on it were transferred to my external hard drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 am 

Loads of review sites out there. NotebookReview.com caught my eye a while back but I'm sure there are others equally as good or better.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:32 pm 
Thanks both!
Have came cross notebookreview.com too! Great site :D Will look through it more carefully asap and see what I can find
That Toshiba laptop sure looks great, question is, can I afford it, it looks pretty expensive. Will have a look on more toshiba laptops, see what they have, thanks!

//Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:30 pm 
Hello
Have been spending some hours searching for a laptop now, and I have found something really interesting. So I thought, why not share this product, that I believe is a great PC for the money.

It is a brand new Hewlett Packard (HP) HDX x16 1300 - link

What are the benefits?
- 64 bit Vista Home premium, and possibility of upgrading to windows 7 when it arrives look here(check your country, mine was available at least).
64bit operatin system enables the computer to use all the RAM memory (4Gb)
- Available full HD screen (1080p)
- Great choice of processors
- nVidia graphics up to 1Gb
- Many more neat features like bluetooth and blue ray(extra charge)

In my country, the computer can be ordered with full HD screen, intel P7350, nVidia GeForce 130M 1Gb, 4Gb RAM and Vista Home premium 64Bit for an equivalent of 110 Euros.

This is my favorite so far, any feed back from you? Great/Worthless deal? Please give some of your thoughts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:27 am 

Big Blocke,

I think we are on the same wave length maybe....AFTER...I snapped back to reality.
That Toshiba is nice but pretty steep in price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG&sku_id=0665000FS10125147&catid

The only dislike I have so far is that the built in card reader doesn't read SDHC I still have my own card reader though and it has USB ports so a minor hitch I guess?

I must say there is alot of them out there and I wish I was a lottery winner...LOL :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:38 pm 
kpr wrote:
Big Blocke,

I think we are on the same wave length maybe....AFTER...I snapped back to reality.
That Toshiba is nice but pretty steep in price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dm=DEBUG&sku_id=0665000FS10125147&catid

The only dislike I have so far is that the built in card reader doesn't read SDHC I still have my own card reader though and it has USB ports so a minor hitch I guess?

I must say there is alot of them out there and I wish I was a lottery winner...LOL :lol:

Thats a nice HP you've got right there, 64 bit vista is a real plus. If you have your own USB based card reader the lack of SDHC reader is not a real problem, still it would be comfortable to have it built in. I guess you refer SDHC to the cards you have in your camera, I also have SDHC but I use a USB cord between the camera and computer and don't take out the card to transfer images, so I guess I'll be ok without SDHC in my coming laptop.
Let me know if you find anything else interesting in the laptop universe!