Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:00 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

As I've mentioned in another thread somewhere before, there are still benefits to running 32-bit apps on a 64-bit OS with lots of RAM.

32-bit Photoshop may for example only see, say, 3GB worth of real RAM, before then requesting what it thinks is disk-based virtual memory from the OS, but the 64-bit OS will know to use extra RAM when it can, so Photoshop may get quicker virtual memory than it thought! I've tested this and it really works in practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:56 am 

popo wrote:
The maximum usable ram figure is not constant. A 32-bit OS can only see 4GB of address space without using tricks which are not widely supported. The video ram is mapped into that address space, as well as other devices doing similar, leaving the rest as the ram ceiling. So while I can easily upgrade to 3 GB of physical ram in my current XP system, it will take an OS change to go significantly higher.

I just wanted to thank someone for pointing this fact out, its a 4GB memory max, due to what the processor can physically address. All memory is figured into this, not just RAM.

55-200mm VR
ML-L3 Wireless release
SB600

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:47 pm 

Or, alternatively, just turn of the page file altogether to make SURE it doesnt use it.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:25 pm 
ive been using 64 bit vista for several months now and honestly i wouldnt go back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:23 pm 
Hi guys! Now I use 32 bit XP. Until Windows 7 will be released I want to try 64bit OS, preferably Windows Vista.

I know that Photoshop CS 4 can run on 64 bit OS and there is 64 bit version Lightroom, but I found that non of Nikon software support 64 bit OS. I mean Nikon Transfer, ViewNX and Capture NX :(.

Some signatures say you use Nikon D90 and also 64 bit Vista. Can you tell me how do you resolve this problem with Nikon software?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:37 pm 
if you are on about the software that came with your nikon camera... view nx and nikon transfer .... it DOES work on 64bit im running it now :wink: just insert the disc and install it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:32 am 
tobywuk wrote:
not me, I use OS X and Ubuntu (both 64bit)

The problem with vista is its use of page files, it continuously needs to swap them in and out of Vram which is why it runs slower than other operating system.

After switching from XP and learning more about how operating systems work at university I doubt I will ever move back.

Photoshop CS4 is only 32bit for the Mac, have to wait until CS5 for a 64bit Mac version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:52 pm 
Thank you simple! :) Nice to hear that they run on 64 bit Vista :).

I just found that information about Nikon software on Nikon official site, that's why I asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:10 am 
I'm running 32 bit XP on a Core2Quad but I dual boot with a 64 bit ubuntu and it does make a difference. Having that extra ram is nice. Going to Vista 64 bit would be nice but it's a pain since I got a lot of stuff on my 32 bit XP install. Maybe I'll use a 64 bit Windows if I get a new laptop but my desktop is good enough for what I use it for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:12 pm 

Running 64 bit Vista Ultimate here, with Lightroom 64-bit and Photoshop CS4 64-bit. I must say 64 bit vista is very good. 32 bit only allowed me to use 3 GB's due to my graphics card, but with the 64-bit edition, I get the full 4 GB's.

Not to mention the speed improvements. Switching to a 64 bit environment generally offers a 10% speed improvement for number-cruncher apps written for 64 bit. 3D studio max, photoshop, and lightroom are good examples of this.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go for XP 64 though, it's driver support is...well, pretty much useless. Vista 64 is highly remommended though, if your PC can handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:20 pm 

Hi folks,

Force majeur has meant that I've had to retire my XP Pro "office" machine and move everything over to my Vista x64 machine, hitherto reserved for Photoshopping and the occasional game. No problems to speak of except that the RealPlayer plugin for Firefox never got installed on the Vista machine and Canon still doesn't have a RAW codec for Vista x64 as far as I know.

I suppose I should have known better given previous experiences but I tried installing RealPlayer under Vista x64. First it refused to install under an ordinary user account so I switched across to the Administrator account and installed it from there and then spent 15 minutes disabling all the intrusive things it wanted to do. Switched back to my ordinary user account and had no luck accessing the plug-in so I went back and uninstalled RealPlayer. Back in the ordinary account I had one final attempt to install at which point Kaspersky Internet Security Suite informed me that the RealPlayer installer was trying to access a Trojan. Now while KIS may well have been overcautious I let it disinfected the machine.

After the reboot I decided to have a nose around and the point to all of this, apart from sharing my determination never to install anything from "Real" again, is that I discovered that Vista, or programs that used Vista, had left about 1.4GB of temporary files behind. The culprit folders were
    C:\Users\Your account name\AppData\Local\Temp
And it was the Administrator account that had the bulk of this rubbish. :evil:

This isn't really the place to discuss why various versions of Windows don't automatically delete old files in the various temporary folders that the OS provides as a service and in these days of terabyte disk capacities maybe wasting the odd gigabyte here and there isn't considered a sin any more. Still, if you want to reclaim your disk space the above is a clue as to where to look under Vista.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Last edited by Bob Andersson on Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 am 
XP does this as well. It's actually quite useful if you use something like WinRAR that stores the uncompressed files temporarily in the temp folder. If you want to clean it out without manually going in, something like CCleaner will do the job for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:13 am 

Vista 64bit is supposedly the best 64bit Windows OS to use officially. At least that's what I've heard. The people that I know who are running it said they have a lot more drivers in Vista than XP. But, I'm going to wait for Windows 7 to come out before moving to 64bit. I'm hoping Windows 7 will be the best 64bit version of Windows to date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:31 am 

grahamnp wrote:
XP does this as well. It's actually quite useful if you use something like WinRAR that stores the uncompressed files temporarily in the temp folder. If you want to clean it out without manually going in, something like CCleaner will do the job for you.

Disk Cleanup does this too in vista, just type it in the start/search box.
Highly recommended to do once in a while. I freed up 20 GB's of system dumps after I finished overclocking ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 pm 

Hi folks,

Good tip about Disk Cleanup. I'd forgotten about it (out of sight so out of mind) but I think it will be worth creating a scheduled task to run it once a month or so. It just released another 300MB using fairly conservative options. I still think those "temp" folders should be cleaned of anything more than, say, seven days old automatically though.

One "gotcha" occurred this morning. I used to use the now defunct XP Pro machine to "Telnet" across to my Cisco router via a serial port using XP Pro's Hyperterminal program as that provides a convenient way to control the detailed operation of the router's IOS software. Guess what? Yep, Hyperterminal has been removed from all Vista builds. Installing a trial of the latest version from Hilgraeve proved to be a waste of time as, despite it promising Vista support, the trial expired the moment I ran it for the first time. So much for 30 days. :evil:

Anyway, here's where I 'fess up to being an idiot. :twisted:

An early decision when I upgraded to Vista on the big machine a couple of years back was to install Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007. There are other alternatives, such as VMWare, but the point is that one can install XP Pro, for instance, in such a virtual machine. Then one can use XP Pro to access all those nice NTBackup files created earlier and that are otherwise inaccessible from Vista - I didn't mention that Vista can't read NTBackup files, did I? :roll:

In these days of copious hard disk storage I'd certainly recommend installing your OS and previous environment as backed up prior to upgrading to Vista as a virtual machine. It costs nothing as Virtual PC is free as long as you have a suitable licence for the old OS and doing so gives you access to software that won't run under Vista.

Yes, you've guessed it: Hyperterminal works a treat in the VM so I also saved myself the $60 that I would have spent if the latest version Hyperterminal trial I downloaded had worked. :oops:

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.