Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:20 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Laptop/Monitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 pm 
Hi all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a truelife (i think thats what its called) screen.

Ive seen alot of threads on here with people who have a laptop with a secondary screen for viewing their pics as their laptop doesnt give the best comparison when viewing their pics.

So my question is, is my laptop good enough to view pics as they would come out in print or do i need an external monitor?

I have just bought a Nikon D40 with the standard lense (im a beginner) if thats makes any difference.

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Chris, this is a quality and expectations question. Laptop screens are rarely optimised for critical photo viewing, and a decent external monitor will produce better-looking results.

So yes, there are better screens out there, but they cost more. If you're serious about your image viewing and editing on screen then you will get value from a better screen, but if you're already happy with the results on your laptop and how they come out when printed, then I'd stick with what you've got.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:43 pm 
Thanks Gordon,

Im obviously speaking previous to having the camera im getting but i just thought id ask now rather than wait.

I've always been interested in photography but never really persude in it. The YouTube vids helped me find this forum and im glad it did.

Ill probably stick with the laptop initially because i dont know much at the moment but i might move onto the external monitor if i get more serious about it.

I guess its trial and error as if you think your photo's will look better on one monitor than an other.

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:15 pm 

The same image when viewed on both my laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens Pi 2515) and desktop monitor (Samsung Syncmaster 226BW) looks completely different. My lappy is nowhere near as good at critical editing. While I'm sure the screen on my laptop isn't the best example of the breed I'm also sure my £230-ish Samsung couldn't be matched by a laptop costing any less than a grand, if at all. Night and day.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head