Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:30 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:15 pm 

pgtips wrote:
Citruspers wrote:
About the ASLR, isn't that the memoryspace random allocation to further prevent buffer overflows?

It doesn't prevent buffer overflows, since those can and do happen. What it does is prevent you from knowing the memory addresses for OS related functions as these get randomized every time you boot up. So while buffer overflow exploits can happen, you end up corrupting some random area in memory instead of gaining access (and thus exploiting) the OS.

Gah, brainfart, that was exactly what I meant. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:39 am 
I also want to point out that, using BootCamp, you can run XP or Vista on the Mac either after a restart or within OS X using something like Parallels 4.

I have recently got a MacBook after my old laptop died completely - dodgy graphics, constant crashes and freezes, awful overheating and restart problems etc.

I really didn't mind paying a bit extra for it - I love the operating system, but as pointed out that is something which is personal taste, and when I want to run programs I have specifically bought in the past for windows, like Microsoft Office, I can run them in XP too.

This laptop is the same speed as my old one (2.13ghz, which is kind of slow, not that I do much), but things generally run faster; Photoshop Elements loads much faster, and the thing that I am most impressed with is that things just happen when they are supposed to - things don't freeze or quit randomly - although this may have happened due to my error on my old laptop, I question why the same error hasn't occured here.

As the icing on the cake, there are loads of small things I love about my change to mac - amazing looks, magnetic power supply (as my old old laptop nearly smashed after tripping over the wire), a better quality web cam built in, a really profesional shop which demonstrates everything for you and software which I really enjoy using - garage band for example is really fun to use, when messing around with my guitar.

Anyway, just some of my ramblings XD Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:22 am 

Quote:
I also want to point out that, using BootCamp, you can run XP or Vista on the Mac either after a restart or within OS X using something like Parallels 4.
I run Parallels and the option to run multiple OS (Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix etc) at the same time can be very useful as you can use each OS and particular software package for its strengths. e.g run Office under Windows, a web server under Unix and some image manipulation software under Mac OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:48 am 

I too use virtualization on my windows and linux amchines. It's not just for mac, you know :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:19 pm 

It is possible to run virtualization software on any platform but technically illegal to run the Mac OS on anything but Apple branded hardware.

Quote:
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

Which leads back to the point that no matter what is under the hood and which software you run it is the results you can achieve with the tools you have that really counts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:28 pm 
keystrokesuk wrote:
Quote:
This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.

I have managed to get a hackintosh working on my laptop before, although the fact that i could only run the 1280x800 screen in 1024x768, was unfortunately the deal breaker, so it was got rid of :( . Also the easy way to overcome that sentence above, is just by sticking a load of apple stickers all over your system :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:07 pm 

If you do your homework, you can build a very powerful IBM-PC than can run OSX86 with basically no fiddling about.

Some chipsets, graphics cards, etc. work perfectly.

This is obviously great if you are going to build a new computer and want OS X, not so much if your trying to make it work with exisiting hardware.

Some people have rock solid hackintoshes, so anyone who says its totally unstable is talking rubbish.

Again, I just find certain things very niggly in everyday use of OS X, and sometimes i've found it takes longer to do stuff in photoshop at college on brand spanking new iMacs than is does my 2 year old core2duo machine. But I'm sure OS X people find things in windows that bug them a lot too that they are used to.

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:54 pm 
You know what they say...
Once you go mac you never go back!

that being said its obvious i'm a mac user. i find the interface to be superior to windows. i just get frustrated with all Microsoft's flaws. and Anti virus softwear drives me nuts!

This is an awesome video i found on youtube... Its a fight between a PC and a Mac, funny stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbJ8YPHwXM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:28 pm 
Tomis wrote:
i find the interface to be superior to windows. i just get frustrated with all Microsoft's flaws. and Anti virus softwear drives me nuts!

I am a Windows and Mac user, so don't think i am starting a war here, but i really get so fustrated when you have to switch between programs to switch between windows in the same program, i mean WTF :x That sorta thing really annoys me, other than that i quite like OS X interface.
About anti virus, i am currently runing Windows on two machines, and all i have done is simply use Windows firewall, and donwloaded AVG free, i never even think about it, it just does everything for me automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:51 pm 
podgeorge wrote:
Tomis wrote:
i find the interface to be superior to windows. i just get frustrated with all Microsoft's flaws. and Anti virus softwear drives me nuts!

...i really get so fustrated when you have to switch between programs to switch between windows in the same program, i mean WTF :x That sorta thing really annoys me, other than that i quite like OS X interface...

that flaw isn't really Apples fault. its not like apple makes macs so you can run windows on them, its quite the opposite really.

i just dislike how on start up pc's ask you questions and give you all those alerts when you turn them on. My dads old PC had more new ones every day it was ridiculous. I made him buy a mac and he is starting to like it more and more every day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:10 pm 
Tomis wrote:
i just dislike how on start up pc's ask you questions and give you all those alerts when you turn them on. My dads old PC had more new ones every day it was ridiculous. I made him buy a mac and he is starting to like it more and more every day.

Fair enough, but then i am a fairly advanced and experienced Windows user :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:26 am 

Hi Tomis,

Strange. :? The only question I get asked is what my account password is and that's only on my main Vista PC. My Media PC, also Vista, is set to boot straight to the Desktop and asks no questions at all. Once a month, usually, it informs me there are software updates/hotfixes available but that's only because I like to know what is about to be installed on my machines.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:43 am 
A lot of it was the nortion anti virus softwear my dad used and that mossy online backup garbbage. He had a lot of crap he didn't need. I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad if it was my personal pc. But still it drove me nuts. The pcs at my school were the same way thought again I didnt have control over that sort of stuff but I'm just saying it is one of my biggest peves with windows. And all of those machines were running xp. I have next to no experiance win vista. I converted to a mac about when vista came out. But from what I hear it's not much of an improvment over xp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:38 am 

I think in that case it's not the fault of Windows but of the third party software installed. It doesn't have to be like that. :wink:

Bob,

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:32 am 
Bob Andersson wrote:
I think in that case it's not the fault of Windows but of the third party software installed. It doesn't have to be like that. :wink:

Bob,

I agree completely, and i always find that it's the people who don't know how to use a computer, that dismiss Windows as rubbish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next