Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:28 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ubuntu...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:48 pm 
Hello
I have been thinking about buying a new computer soon, and I plan to blow away Vista the first thing I do, and instead install ubuntu (linux based).

Anyone here who has any positive or negative experience from ubuntu?
Also, will software like Adobe photoshop run on a ubunty based system?

Best regards
//daniel

Post subject: Re: Ubuntu...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:56 pm 
bigblocke wrote:
Anyone here who has any positive or negative experience from ubuntu?

It's an excellent operating system and I like it very much. Unless you're very competent with computers, I would advise against it.

While it's excellent for general purpose use like office applications, web browsing and email, it's not suitable for multimedia content creation unless you're willing to go the extra mile.

Quote:
Also, will software like Adobe photoshop run on a ubunty based system?

With great difficulty.

You can run some windows application in Wine. I've run Photoshop Elements 7, Neat Image, Photomatix and some other stuff that I don't remember via Wine. So it's not all bad, but just be aware that you will get compatibility problems.

Unless you have good reason to, I would suggest you stick with Windows and Mac.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:00 pm 
Thanks for the advice, well will carefully weigh up pros and cons about going linux, but it is tempting, as I will use it mostly as a work pc, and I still have my old one for photoshop if it doesn't work on ubuntu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:07 pm 
Hi bigblocke,
I myself installed Ubuntu a couple of months ago to give it a test drive, although coming from Vista it seemed more like an OS to have a play with rather than for me to use seriously everyday. But the thing which really killed it for me, was the large lack of software compatability, which is easily the most painfull thing when using Linux (for me). Also i presume, that running software, Via wine is just not the same as running it natively on Windows or Mac.
Have you considered Windows 7 at all, the RC has come out, and is a fair bit better than Vista (IMO). Or alternatively you could build yourself a Hackintosh :twisted:
On a side note, what is it that you dislike about Vista so much??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 pm 
For running office apps, and browsing/email/chat etc, ubuntu/linux is great. OK, also for playing chess (gnu etc).

Any serious multimedia including games is forbidden. Nothing works right, even after going extra thousands of miles. You can take my word for it or verify yourself.

The ONLY os where everything seems to work perfectly right is XP. Even DX10 (with some tweaking, though).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 am 
personally, i don't have much experience with linux.

My boss has a, ubuntu based computer at my work, and he loves it. anything he needs to run that Linux wont, he does on XP in a virtual environment (VirtualBox i think).

He runs Photoshop CS4, Lightroom, and a couple of video editing programs, and they all work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:17 am 

It's excellent, and ubuntu is the most user friendly distribution out there. Give it a shot, install it next to vista, so you can still choose to load vista at boot. (dual booting).

The Ubuntu linstaller can do this automaticlally for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:51 am 
Ubuntu is a brilliant operating system. I do love using it.

HOWEVER!

Don't install the standard version of Ubuntu if design and manipulation is your thing. I strongly advise you to take a look at Ubuntu Studio. I run it on my laptop and think it's bloody brilliant. Comes with so many useful programs pre loaded it's perfectly ideal.

www.ubuntustudio.org

And a video of it in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BpiR9WHGgA

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:30 pm 
podgeorge wrote:

On a side note, what is it that you dislike about Vista so much??????

Well I don't have any bad experience about vista, rather really like it, but I want some sort of change and ubuntu seems to be the very best you can get, if you are prepared to do some extra work and if you want to have more power over the computer. Also it is almost complete safe from viruses and so on, and that makes it ideal for working, as I don't have to worry about viruses entering my computer and destroying my files (even though I only have had virus one time in my life as far as I know).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:33 pm 
Thanks for all answers. The thing about dual booting seems appealing, I have done that on computers before, just need to refresh my mind about how you do, or maybe as also suggested run vista mirrored in ubuntu or the opposite, giving me the best of two worlds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:00 pm 
Looks like linux is perfect for you. Good for you. All the best! 8)