Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:47 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:46 pm 
Bob Andersson wrote:
and the updated Apple site is now up and running at http://www.apple.com/

MacBook Air guided tour here. Mmmm.

Bob.
Holy crap that thing's thin!!! *drool* $1800USD is heavy though...but less than an MBP, though. Hmmmm....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:06 pm 
Nice guided tour, im not blown away though. I like the idea of it being ultra portable and I like the track pad usage, but limited ports, no CD drive its not for me. its also the same speed as my current macbook which is not exactly big. Im also not so keen on the looks, its two thin and bowly looking.

can you imagin being in a public place and needing to use a CD... "excuse me sir, can I please borrow your computer to use its CD drive because my laptop does not have one"

Last edited by tobywuk on Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
tobywuk wrote:
Nice guided tour, im not blown away though. I like the idea of it being ultra portable and I like the track pad usage, but limited ports, no CD drive its not for me. its also the same speed as my current macbook which is not exactly big. Im also not so keen on the looks, its two thin and bowly looking.

What the hell has a powefull wireless capability built in got to do with not having a CD drive... they blatently got rid of it because they wanted to keep it small
That is true...I have a fine wireless card built into my notebook, but I run wired for any photo editing even thought I'm 10' from my router, because I use a network drive and I don't want the wireless delay (not much, but I'm picky).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:24 pm 

Hi Toby,

Fair points all. I have to come clean and admit that I really only anticipate using the MacBook Air to run Canon's remote Live View and so control my EOS 40D during my astrophotography sessions. All I need is that USB port as far as connectivity is concerned and with the 5 hour battery life and a backlit keyboard it is the ideal machine in everything but price. Might be fun to dip a toe in the Mac world as well but I certainly don't plan to be an early adopter. Much better to let others sort any bugs out first and then consider a purchase next winter assuming my decrepit ThinkPad lasts that long. 8)

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 pm 
I get about 5 hours out of my macbook. I have to turn the screen brightness down and keep the programs running to a minimum but im sure this is the same with this macbook air.

I take my macbook to university with me every day and use it for typing notes replacing a pen and paper and I have never run out of battery during a day there.

Is the macbook air cheaper or more expensive than the macbook?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:49 pm 
tobywuk wrote:
I get about 5 hours out of my macbook. I have to turn the screen brightness down and keep the programs running to a minimum but im sure this is the same with this macbook air.

I take my macbook to university with me every day and use it for typing notes replacing a pen and paper and I have never run out of battery during a day there.

Is the macbook air cheaper or more expensive than the macbook?
More expensive...looks like $1799USD for the basic model and $3200 for the solid-state-drive version. Don't know what UK pricing is going to be (I'm looking at the US site).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:20 pm 

According to bit-tech.net UK pricing will be from £1199 including VAT (or €1,699 across most of Europe). PC Pro have an interesting article comparing the MacBook Air with the Sony VAIO VGN-G11VN/TCwhich may be of interest if you don't need to run OS X.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:28 pm 

The air is aimed at the mobile surfer, with is 64gig solid state drive (lovely no moving parts) no optic drive, so the workhorse macbook / pro users have nothing to fear..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:32 pm 
yup i like my white santa rosa macbook... maybe there'll be an macbook update sometime and then ill want to have it, but the macbook air is just tooo overpriced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:14 pm 
I picked up the macbook 13 with 2.2 ghz intel core duo, and 2 GB of ram. I like the macbook over the macbook pro because it is obviously more compact. I run Adobe LR on it without any issues at all. Plus ilife 08 comes with some pretty neat things to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:55 am 

Very dissapointed that we didn't see a quad core macbookpro :(

MacBookAir is rubbish. Period.

Non replaceable battey no access to ram or hdd no ethernet only one usb stupid gloss screen poor CPU speeds.

I want me a good workstation with a good fast hard drive, fast quad core CPU, 4gb of max ram, non glossy colour corrected screen, And a 8800GT for good measure!

Ah well looks like I'll have to wait for that :(

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:20 am 
I think the problem with quad core laptop is cooling the processor and the amount of power it uses.

And the macbook air is a sub notebook designed to compliment someone using a desktop computer or finding there macbook pro 17inch is too heavy for some reason. But for the type of use I think it costs way too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am 

DD_nVidia wrote:
...MacBookAir is rubbish. Period.

Non replaceable battery no access to ram or hdd no ethernet only one usb stupid gloss screen poor CPU speeds...

This machine certainly seems to have polarised opinions so, at the least, Apple has got a lot of publicity from it! If you are thinking of the MacBook Air as a desktop replacement then "rubbish" is probably fair comment.

To pick up your comments, the battery can be replaced by service technicians. I have replaced batteries on old notebooks but I have never carried a spare fully charged battery with me. Is that what you want to do?

Non-upgradeable RAM and HDD may be an issue for some. Ethernet is available but you have to use a dongle via the USB port. As for USB ports, though I have multiple USB bits hanging off my desktop machines I have never needed to connect more than one USB device to a laptop. If it's an issue then there are workarounds.

AnandTech have quite a nice appraisal of the MacBook Air here. Personally I think 2GB of RAM would be plenty on an ultra-portable and the solid-state 64GB hard disk sounds ( :!: ) perfect. I don't need more than one USB port though a dedicated Ethernet port would have been nice. As for the screen, I haven't seen it yet so I'll have to defer judgement.

The big issue is, of course, price but if it's the design icon it appears to be then sometimes value for money is less important. I'm not rushing out to buy just yet, though. Never buy version 1 of anything if you can help it and maybe a silently released "version 2" will have the forthcoming mobile Penryn CPU instead of the 20W TDP Merom currently used. Even if that doesn't happen it may be a good idea to let others sort out any bugs and, hopefully, wait for the price to drop a little.

Bob.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:39 am 
The most important aspect in a laptop for me is battery life, noise (the lack of it) and weight. That it doesn't compromise on performance too much would be very welcome.

Having an ultra powerful system in a laptop almost certainly means a compromise in most, if not all of those areas.