Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:51 pm 
Hi
I am thinking of getting a laptop simply for veiwing shots "in the field" and maybe playing with them. I originally thought of one of those digital picture frame thingies but finding a battery powered one is proving awkward hence now thinking of a laptop.

One thing I would like to do is, if not already done, is to divide the hard drive into two or more partitions, one for the microsoft OS, possibly one for a linux OS and the 2nd or 3rd partition for data i.e. photos COPIED from the camera. I am dubious about storing photos permanently on a laptop.

The main contenders at the moment are the
1) Dell 1545, primarily because apparently they come with the CD's/DVD's to reinstall the OS. sample specs http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/ ... ionSection

2) Fujitsu Siemens Li 3710 from a shop I think is trustworthy, sample specs :-

FUJITSU-SIEMENS - Li 3710
Pentium Dual Core T3400 2.16GHz
Vista Home Premium
15.6" Widescreen
Intergrated Graphics
2GB (2x1GB) RAM
250GB HDD
DVD-SuperMulti
802.11BG WiFi
6 Cell Battery
Eclipse Black

I am in the process of trying to confirm if the Fujitsu can create the CD's/DVD's to reinstall the OS

I have seen smaller than 15" laptops and am wondering if they are worth bothering with.

So, the questions are

1) Is a laptop worth it for "viewing in the field"?
2) Are the laptops I am considering worth looking at?
3) Is it worth looking at the smaller laptops, eg 10" etc

The main reason I ask about smaller laptops is the aspect ratio of the screens on the 15" laptops, it differs greatly from most photo aspect ratio though obviously this isnt that relevant when zooming into a portion of a photo.

Anyway the thoughts of those "in the know" would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by SeanMcK on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 am 
If by in the field you mean literally sitting in a field with a laptop (or any outdoor location) a glossy screen could be difficult to see. I can't seem to find much information on the screens on these laptops so this may not be a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:48 am 
Hmmmm that hadnt occurred to me, ta, I will investigate if I can.