Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Computer is too weak !!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:24 pm 
Hi guys. and Gordon!

I can't play 720P / 1080P or use large raw files on my computer.

I always end up with quad core computer and 2,000$ setup, which I can't afford.

Here's the spec of my current computer:

AMD Athlon 2800+ 2 GHZ
1 Gig RAM DDR
250gb HDD
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

Thanks !


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:48 pm 
....................................whats the topic then?


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:59 am 
I think podgeorge probably meant what is your problem, or how can we help?

Don't know much about HD video on a PC, but just how large are these raw files your current PC can't handle? How many megapixels is the camera they came from?

My PC has an Athlon XP 1800+ CPU (1.6GHz), 1GB DDR RAM & Radeon 7000 graphics 64MB

My camera is a 10MP model which produces raw images measuring 3648 x 2736 pixels. File size is 10MB approx (varies according to image content).

My PC can open these files no problem, despite having less video memory than yours, less powerful CPU, same amount of RAM.

Your raw images must be massive if your PC can't open them???
Or you have a sick PC.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
Quad cores are so overrated. Most people would be better off with a fast single or dual core than a slow quad core.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 12:48 pm
Posts: 8029
Location: UK
Things have moved on a lot since multi-core first came out. Many functions of photo and video related software are multi-threaded now and can make use of more cores. So I'd definitely pick a low end quad over a similarly priced dual any day. But that focuses on performance value not minimal cost.

The original poster's PC is rather ancient now. I can't see why it wouldn't do RAW (if slowly), but certainly real time software decode of HD video is going to be a bit much.

Do shop around if you're after an upgrade. There are lots of entry level dual core boxes for VERY cheap. Upgrade the ram to 2GB if it comes with less and it should be a fine upgrade without breaking the bank. Edit: Having had a quick look at local prices, for the equivalent of US$350 you can pick up a dual core box with 2GB ram.

_________________
Canon DSLRs: 7D, 5D2, 1D, 600D, 450D full spectrum, 300D IR mod
Lenses: EF 35/2, 50/1.8, 85/1.8, 135/2+SF, 28-80 V, 70-300L, 100-400L, TS-E 24/3.5L, MP-E 65, EF-S 15-85 IS
3rd party: Zeiss 2/50 makro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300 f/2.8 OS, Celestron 1325/13
Tinies: Sony HX9V.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:08 pm
Posts: 1626
Location: New York, US
popo wrote:
Things have moved on a lot since multi-core first came out. Many functions of photo and video related software are multi-threaded now and can make use of more cores. So I'd definitely pick a low end quad over a similarly priced dual any day. But that focuses on performance value not minimal cost.

The original poster's PC is rather ancient now. I can't see why it wouldn't do RAW (if slowly), but certainly real time software decode of HD video is going to be a bit much.

Do shop around if you're after an upgrade. There are lots of entry level dual core boxes for VERY cheap. Upgrade the ram to 2GB if it comes with less and it should be a fine upgrade without breaking the bank. Edit: Having had a quick look at local prices, for the equivalent of US$350 you can pick up a dual core box with 2GB ram.

If you're doing video encoding a quad would be better, yes. But for normal photography a dual core is good enough. You can build a "high" end gaming machine for $800 and below nowadays.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:23 pm
Posts: 2341
Using lightroom quad cores help - ALOT.

Quad core downstairs at Q6600 2.4ghz beats my E6600 @ 3.2Ghz easy.

It also has double the L2 Cache at 8Mb over 4Mb.



If your looking for heavy lifting on the cheap.

Q6600 G0 Stepping
Good Asus Mobo (any £90+ ones should be hot to trot)
4GB (2x2GB) DDR 2- 800 CL4 or DDR 1600 if you can splash on it.
GeForce 9800GTX (well really anything from a 8800GT upwards should be more than enough)
Some decent hard drives, theres not much in it really.

_________________
Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 + Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N + Canon EOS 33
Canon 17-40 F/4L USM + Canon 24-70 F/2.8L USM + Canon 28mm F/1.8 USM + Canon 70-200 F/2.8L USM IS + Canon 85mm F/1.8 USM
Canon Speedlite 580EX II + Canon Speedlite 540EZ + 2 x Nikon SB-80DX
Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:56 pm 
Shagrath wrote:
If you're doing video encoding a quad would be better, yes. But for normal photography a dual core is good enough. You can build a "high" end gaming machine for $800 and below nowadays.


I don't know what Lightroom does, but if you've used RawTherapee that piece of software is amazing. The HPHD demosaic algorithm is SMP aware and it scales to use all cores on your machine. Think of how fast your RAW conversions would be :shock: .


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:59 pm
Posts: 6009
Location: The Netherlands
DD_nVidia wrote:
Using lightroom quad cores help - ALOT.

Quad core downstairs at Q6600 2.4ghz beats my E6600 @ 3.2Ghz easy.

It also has double the L2 Cache at 8Mb over 4Mb.



If your looking for heavy lifting on the cheap.

Q6600 G0 Stepping
Good Asus Mobo (any £90+ ones should be hot to trot)
4GB (2x2GB) DDR 2- 800 CL4 or DDR 1600 if you can splash on it.
GeForce 9800GTX (well really anything from a 8800GT upwards should be more than enough)
Some decent hard drives, theres not much in it really.


Great setup, very similar to mine. If you build it yourself you should not have to spend more than 600 bucks, less if you use your old case, DVD drive, power supply etc.

The q6600 is a great quadcore processor, but make sure you get the G0 stepping (codename: SLACR). It runs less hot, uses less electricity, and provides great potential for overclocking.

Mine runs at 3 GHZ with the default cooler. That's quite a performance increase, for free!

_________________
I take pictures so quickly, my highschool was "Continuous High".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:53 am 
DD_nVidia wrote:
GeForce 9800GTX (well really anything from a 8800GT upwards should be more than enough)


I'd take the Radeon 4850, really no reason to go with the 9/8xxx series of Nvidias but I know why you suggested it. 8)


Last edited by grahamnp on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:39 pm 
take up a second hobby and build yourself a new computer for loads cheaper than buying it.
http://www.newegg.com


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

All words, images, videos and layout, copyright 2005-2012 Gordon Laing. May not be used without permission.
/ How we test / Best Cameras / Advertising / Camera reviews / Supporting Camera Labs

Webdesign by Alphabase IT
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group