Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nice project Thomas, thanks for sharing...

PS - Daniel, one of my best upgrades was going from 100mbit to 1Gbit. Sadly not 10 times faster, but approx three to four times, which still made a big difference when transferring or sharing files. I also did tests comparing CAT 5, CAT 5e and CAT 6 at lengths up to 5m, and there was virtually nothing in it, although if I were laying new cables, I'd always go for the latest in case it proved to be a bottle neck for future speed upgrades.

I think it's a real shame most wireless routers with 4 port switches tend to be 100mbit versions. Most people with wired networks have Gbit NICs and CAT 5e or better, so it's only the switch which is letting them down. That said, it didn't cost a fortune to buy an 8-port Gbit switch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:58 pm 

Yeah.

We have Cat5e in the house, with 100Mb Hubs in the office, and next to the living room.

We have Cat 5e in livingroom, my room, first bedroom and second bedroom, with the cables all running to the office into a 100Mb Hub there then into the router.

We are with SKY now, and they lock you into using their kit by not supplying a broad band username and password, and the wouldnt give us it, mainly because everyone we spoke to didnt know how to if they could.

So we hacked the sky router, got our username and password, and put out old router on haha!

Still its all 100Mb in the house.

If i buy the cable, im more than welcome to run them, but under the floor in my house is filled with all kind of creepy crawlies....and im not quite that desperate for 1 or 10Gb yet! :lol:

Cactus V2s Wireless Trigger - 5 x Cactus V2s Wireless Reciever

MY FLICKR!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 am 
Could the compact flash slot be for a micro drive or an actual compact flash card? The components might be shared with some of the netbooks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:46 pm 

Unfortunately I don't know the specifications of CF slots. So I can't tell.
But I have just swapped the 1GB mem-module for a 2048MB SO-DIMM OCZ PC2-6400 C5 Mobile Series and am currently running Prime95 stress-test. So far so good.
I also invested in a 8cm fan from Arctic Cooling (AF8025L with 1500 rpm and 18CFM/30.5m³/h max) for 2.24 EUR :shock: . It's beautifully quiet and as soon as the HD stops rotating, the little machine is almost inaudible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:39 pm 

grahamnp wrote:
Could the compact flash slot be for a micro drive or an actual compact flash card? The components might be shared with some of the netbooks.

It's a mini PCI slot as far as I can see. My old PC had one to host a wireless network card. Same story for my old laptop.

I can get you a picture if you want.

The slot on yours looks a bit different though. Could it be that the slot is to be used with a CF card as boot medium? This would relieve the harddrive, and make the PC last longer (the boot drive is pretty much always spinning, the HDD with all your pictures shouldn't)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Daniel, your Cat5e will support Gigabit, no problem, so no need to dig up the floorboards! You just need to change your hub / switch to a gigabit model and of course make sure your PCs have Gigabit NICS, which most of them should...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:57 pm 

Just installed the second 1TB HDD, a Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 1000GB, SATA II drive. Currently cloning the first drive which I partitioned 50GB as C: for the system and all other programs plus 950GB as D: for data.
I have split the new HDD accordingly with a 50GB clone of C: (as drive E:) and 950GB for other data (as drive F:). So should anything go awry with the first drive I just reboot from the other drive and be up and running in no time after a crash.
With the new HDD I use D: and F: as mirrors/backups from my desktop's 1TB HDDs D: and F:. This way I have all data on my desktop with the fastest possible access times but can also access the backup on the netbook 24/7 through the network/WLAN.

Looks like I'm good to go...

Btw., first impressions of the 1TB Hitachi vs. the 1TB Samsung during cloning the Sam to the Hit: The Hitachi has clearly less vibrations and stays cooler than the Samsung.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:40 am 

Did you set your drives up as RAID 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:20 am 

Nope, I never use RAID. The reason: since I look after cooling my HHDs properly I suffer more from user error (overwriting/changing the wrong files) than from HDD crashs. As RAID 1 mirrors all your user errors immediately and irretrievably I prefer not to use it.
Instead I prefer cloning with Acronis True-Image for the system partition every now and then and synchronizing data shares with DSynchronize or AllwaySync weekly.

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:39 am 

Haha, that's pretty much the best excuse not to use RAID ;)
I'd go for a manual backup everytime you've uploaded pictures instead of every week, but that might be overkill in your eyes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:12 pm 

As I never delete any image from the memory-card before I have backed up the downloaded images on my HDD I'll never loose any image from one single failure :D
Simple rules, simple procedures, maximum security :idea:

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:36 pm 

Currently running the thermal test by backing up 1TB from my desktop to the MSI Wind.

For this I made a preliminary case cover from cardboard with a hole where the 8cm fan hovers above the CPU to blow fresh air in. I also installed the rear 5cm fan again, but inverted it so that it too blows fresh air in. All this fresh air now has only two ways to get out: on the right side of the case there is a grid of small holes but they offer quite a high resistance for the airflow. The other way out is now through the empty optical drive bay where the HDDs are now mounted.
This seems to revert standard airflow through a desktop (front to back) but this way the combined air intake of both fans is routed over the HDDs thus ensuring maximum cooling.
First observations after over 2 hours of copying seem to confirm that this setup ensures proper cooling of the CPU and two 1TB drives that are not sitting idle.

How did I drive two fans from one socket? Well, just soldered the red and black wires together. Through the copying operation the fans run very low and you cannot hear them over the HDD's operation. Are both fans balanced well enough? This one is hard to answer, but the 5cm fan seems a little stronger than the 8cm fan. Perhaps the ideal mate for the 5cm fan would be a 2000 rpm 0.14A fan and not the 1500 rpm 0.1A. That combo should also be virtually silent at low CPU loads.

Now it's time to cut the 8cm hole into the metal cover. Just habe to watch out that my trusty odl Dremel doesn't get too hot...

Last edited by Thomas on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:26 am 

Addendum: How to get rid of the optical drive bay?

Very simple: The drive bay is fixed with 6 rivets to the top of the drive cage and with 1 rivet to the front. Just drill through the top rivets with a 5mm bore and the front rivet with a smaller drill-bit and off it goes.

Top:

Front:

Now there is enough space to stack to 3"5 HDD on the left side of the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:39 am 

Hi Thomas,

Great project which proves you don't have to break the bank or the planet to get serious amounts of online storage. I'll be very interested to see what the data transfer rates over the network are like for large files.

Bob.

Astrophotography: TEC 140 'scope, FLI ML16803 camera, ASA DDM60 Pro mount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:08 am 

I encountered a hard limit here at 200MBit/sec although using state of the art Cat 7 cable and a Gigabit-Ethernet router.