Free Shipping on ALL Products
camera reviewsbest cameraslens reviewsphotography tipscamera forumvideo toursphotography bookssupport me
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC

How do you get your photos off you camera
Direct Connection (i.e. USB or Firewire) 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Card Reader 50%  50%  [ 13 ]
Wireless-Fidelity (Wi-Fi) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Firewire or hasslewire?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:34 am 
Many people like me- use firewire but there are two sides on each connection format USB is cheaper and more versitile (all computer have at least 2 of them) and Firewire 400 or 800 which is more expensive (other peoples' opinon) and less versitle since most Macs and the latest Pcs have them, which one? well I'm right in the middle. Some of my friends use USB some firewire which one?

P.S. I'm talking about card-readers and camera connections

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:39 am 
Site Admin

I generally use a USB 2 card reader... what Firewire model are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:24 am 
Hey Gordan,

Since I keep my photos in two places my computer and my external Hard drive, my computer accepts only Firewire 400 but my Lacie drive accepts 400 and 800 so I use both cables. Not only for back ups, but also sycing to my other devices such as my camcorder, and my old ipod. By the way I use a firewire 400 card reader

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:54 am 
Site Admin

Have you compared your firewire card reader to a USB 2 model? I'd be interested to hear if it weas any quicker... I know there's differences between the bit rates of each interface, but in practice there's so much more involved, so it'd be cool if you could time some file transfers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:10 am 
Between USB and Firewire, Firewire has a much better sustained throughput than USB and is always my preferred method when dealing with large amounts of data transfer.

http://www.usb-ware.com/firewire-vs-usb.htm

I haven't had many experience with card readers and I most definitely wouldn't use Wi-Fi for large amounts of sustained data transfer. Personally, I think it's a shame that USB took off over Firewire because the latter is definitely the better technology; for peripherals and for data.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:26 am 

I've been using a direct connection via USB2 since day one but I'd like to get a card reader as I have my doubts as to the longevity of the rubber "door" on the D80. Not exactly on topic but if anyone could recommend a good, not too expensive card reader that would be good.

Zorro 8)

Various lenses, SB800 & Manfrotto 190 with 460MG head

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:28 pm 

Zorro wrote:
longevity of the rubber "door"

This really is the most high-tech part on the D80 :?
Still I use it (again) after the reliability of my card-reader (a 15EUR cheapo multi-tralala from Transcend) is only so-so. Don't know what it is, perhaps a contacting-prob?!
Next time I buy the new 16Gig SDHC from Sandisk, I'll buy it with their single slot SDHC-reader. Perhaps that one is better.

Anybody has experience with SDHC card-readers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:33 pm 
zorro wrote:
I've been using a direct connection via USB2 since day one but I'd like to get a card reader as I have my doubts as to the longevity of the rubber "door" on the D80. Not exactly on topic but if anyone could recommend a good, not too expensive card reader that would be good.

Zorro 8)

You can get a good Belkin All-in-1 cardreader for about £25, thats what I use as I find it too fiddly trying to get the little rubber door open on the camera.
P.S. the model I have is a Belkin FSU 249

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:02 pm 

Hmmm, no SDHC on the Belkin FSU 249?!
That's not future-proof :(

The Lian Li CR-35A for 30 EUR might do the trick. Hopefully it is more reliable than my Transcend-reader :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:44 am 
I timed the card reader i have and found the D80's usb port to actually be much faster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi Gregory, just wanted to welcome you on-board!

Be interesting to hear what times you measured for your direct connection vs card reader...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:05 pm 
I'd completely forgotten to report back on this one, so here are my findings. The card reader I have is a Trust branded 16-1 card reader, and it can support SD cards up to 2gb. The speed of it however is crap compared to connecting directly to my D80. With the Card reader, it took 4 minutes 24 seconds to transfer 1.19gb/326 files (all jpeg) while directly connecting to the camera only took 2 minutes ten seconds. Either I need a new card reader, or it really is faster to connect straight to the camera.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:35 am 
I recently got a Sandisk micro mate SDHC card reader, and offers about the same transfer rate as direct connecting to my D80. Guess the trust one was a piece of crap in the end.

I had a firewire 800 card that I had bought to use my with my Lacie D2 Triple interface extreme, and the enclosure failed after about two years. Too bad they don't make SD card readers with a fire 800 interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:05 pm 
I just use the USB cable that came with my camera and plug it into my laptop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:37 pm 
My stationary PC has a built in reader so i use that at some times and other times i use the USB port cable thing. I never really have MASSIVE amounts of data to transfer to the camera, because every time i take a picture i will transfer it directly afterwards...